We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking Victoria Falls advice (driving/transfers,schedule..)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking Victoria Falls advice (driving/transfers,schedule..)

Hello,

We are two people currently driving a Namibian car rental (with a permission to cross borders) through Caprivi toward Kasane and plan to spend two days/one night in Victoria Falls area on Aug 30-31, returning to Kasane. We haven't obtained any visas in advance and plan to get them at the borders. Besides just viewing the falls, we are hoping to do the following: bungee jump and/or gorge swing (probably one person doing each); Devil's pool; and maybe (big maybe) white water raft Zambezi. We read the guides and websites, but have a few questions:

- Considering the costs and the hassles and the amount of time it will take, is it better to park the car securely somewhere in Kasane and arrange for paid transportation into Victoria Falls and back, or to drive there across the border ourselves? Which border, Zambia or Zimbabwe? Which way is the fastest?

- If we don't prebook anything, and just do it once we get there, is there going to be a problem with availability or significant waits or long queues for bungee jump, swing, water rafting? Unfortunately we just found out the limited availability for Devil's pool, and emailed Tongabezi reservations asking if there is any room. Is that the only company running Devil's pool trips, or is there an alternative?

- How safe is Zambezi white water rafting? I saw a rate of 60 deaths per year "mostly due to crocodiles", which is pretty huge, but other sources say crocodiles are "small" and are not a problem. Which rafting company is recommended? We are more interested in going on the type of boat where we don't paddle.

- Is it possible to do full day rafting trip and still make it back over the border to Kasane on a transfer on the same day? Is it possible to come from Kasane on day 1, see the falls and do a bungee jump and Devil's pool (afternoon) and book a rafting trip for day 2, then raft on day 2 and make it back to Kasane before the border closes for the night? Shearwater site says return to town is at 14:30, so it sounds like return to Kasane after that is totally possible.

Thank you very much!

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
867 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking Victoria Falls advice (driving/transfers,schedule..)

Hi

I will try to answer some of your questions:

Firstly the approximate costs of a RETURN transfer from Kasane to Victoria Falls Zimbabwe $100 and Livingstone$120 per person, The cost of bringing your own car accross the border will be quite high, with insurance at $30 carbon tax depends on your vehicle but around $15 road tax $10 and commercial gaurantee of about $120, this is also a great hassle, so my advice for a short visit would be to just arrange a transfer, it might cost a little more but will save time and hassles.

Going to Zimbabwe from Kasane is probably easier than going straight to Livingstone because of the ferry crossing at Kazangula and I would recommend seeing the Falls from the Zimbabwe side as 70% of the Falls are on that side. However the Devils swim can only be done on the Zambian side. Bungee and rafting can be done from either side. So I would say stay in Zimbabwe and catch transfer to Zambia for the Devils swim. Remember to buy a double entry visa when you enter Zimbabwe, this works out cheaper for you.

August is peak season so I would recommend pre booking to save dissapointment and delays, The UNTWO conference is on at the moment so many of the delegates are not doing the activities but still so much easier to arrange everything before hand and then just enjoy your time there.

Tongabezi is the only company that does the Devils swim and Livingstone island tour.

60 deaths per year is just not true, not sure of the exact figures but if there have been 10 deaths in the last 20 years thats a lot and these can mostly be attributed to people loosening their life jackets etc. Don't get me wrong it is a grade 5 river and as such it is dangerous, but as far as I know no one has ever been taken by a crocodile while white water rafting. Your statistics I believe is for people taken on the Zambezi river which will be mostly local fishermen in dug out canoes. All companies have similar rafts, and will run oar boats (where you don't have to paddle) on request as long as there is enough people on that day who want to do the same.

Rafting on the Zimbabwe side does finish at 14.30 so crossing back to Kasane is definately possible. The itinerary you suggest is fine, Except I would structure it this way for the best times for each activity.

Devils swim in the morning 9.30 slot if available, then view the Falls from the Zambian bank, have lunch at the Bridge cafe when crossing back to Zimbabwe and do your bungee jump at that time. Then go across to Zimbabwe to see the Falls from that side from about 2pm to 4.30pm this is when the light is best and the rainbows are in their best positions. Overnight in Vic falls, raft in the moring and transfer back to Kasane that afternoon.

Hope that helps a little

Tony

2. Re: Seeking Victoria Falls advice (driving/transfers,schedule..)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Victoria Falls