We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chobe and Okavango Delta by car?

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
167 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
Chobe and Okavango Delta by car?

I am planning a trip to Victoria falls and Botswana in August. I think we will stay first at Victoria falls. After that, does it make any sense to rent a car in Kasane to go to Chobe National Park and then to Okavango Delta? Which reasonably priced lodges or luxury tents would be accessible and best for viewing nature (offering safaris etc)?

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Chobe and Okavango Delta by car?

http://tinyurl.com/b9b9yb

Midrand
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chobe and Okavango Delta by car?

Hi

You will have to rent a 4x4 to get from Chobe/Kasane to Okavango Delta/Moremi area. The Magwikhwe sand ridge road is not suitable for normal cars. You'll need ground clearance and traction to get through the thick sand. Aug is still dry so the sand will be thick. Once it starts raining in Sept/Oct its another story to manage that road. If you have not made bookings in Moremi yet, you might be lucky to get cancellations. By now its already booked up for that time (which by the way is prime time for Botswana visits). You can do the drive from Kasane to Moremi north gate in one day but I would spend a night on the way at Savute and experience the elephants there. Maybe you are lucky and encouter the elephant eating lions at Pump Pan. We experienced it during an Aug trip in 2007.

Not sure of your budget or requirements for luxury (or not) but check out Wilderness Safaris website http://www.wilderness-safaris.com/

They have various camps in Botswana and can also arrange fly in safaris if you do not want to drive from Kasane. If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact me.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
167 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chobe and Okavango Delta by car?

Thanks. Going through this information I realize that the driving time is quite lengthy so we may have to reconsider if flying is the option for us though I am not so enthousiastic about very small planes (motion sickness rather than being afraid).

I am quite worried though to hear that we may be too late to book! I am combining this with a business trip so I cannot choose the time.

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Chobe and Okavango Delta by car?

Hi Kauris,

I am afraid the previous post is correct. The majority of camps sites are already booked for August. There are still space open at some lodges so this is still a possibility. You can opt to go to two places only, say one in Chobe or Kasane, fly to Maun and then go to a lodge in Moremi or the Delta that offers road and boat transfers.

I suggest you ask a tour operator or travel agent to search for something for you, because this can be a nightmare to arrange by yourself.

Johan.

Lathita Tailor Made Travel

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,283 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chobe and Okavango Delta by car?

Even though I am a tour operator myself, I get help sometimes from others, and here's the one I would recommend: http://www.island-safaris.com/

And specifically, Alison - one of their consultants who does a brilliant job of listening, and offering

solid responses. alison@island-safari.com

6. Re: Chobe and Okavango Delta by car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 05:34