We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget Safari?

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
277 reviews
Save Topic
Budget Safari?

Anybody have any ideas of a shorter budget safari relatively near to Victoria Falls, in Botswana or Zimbabwe?

Any idea would be great! Thanks!

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget Safari?

Depends on your parameters.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget Safari?

Thanks for your response - what exactly do you mean?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,763 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget Safari?

What is your budget?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
169 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget Safari?

There are essentially five tiers of safari travel in Botswana:

1. Self drive

2. Participation camping

3. non-participation camping

4. lodges

5. uber-lodges

This is in order of price, self-drive being the most cost effective way to get around (based on my own investigation). luangwablondes can give you a much better idea of self driving I think.

For a short, budget safari, I'd suggest camping in Kasane at the Chobe Safari Lodge campsites (not the lodge itself), then take day trips into Chobe. Tons of operators can arrange this for you. I'm guessing it'll be around USD150-200 per day per person, all inclusive.

Italy
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget Safari?

Hello,

I am planning to go to Botswana on a safari experience. I however have not idea when could be a good time (avoiding the high season). I have originally planed to go in late march begining od april, whoudl that be a good time?

My main intention is to get a good chance to see animals.

Also, I would very much appreciate any advice about tour operator and campings/lodges.

Many thanks!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
169 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget Safari?

Hi MAQ,

If you are looking for mobile camping, (this is what I did in August 2009), then I recommend contacting eric@bushsampsafaris.com.

Eric lives in Maun, Botswana and is very good at putting together trips in Botswana. We did the 14-day safari and had an experience of a lifetime. We visited Okavango, Moremi, Savute Marsh and Chobe. Amazing.

If you are looking for a step up from mobile camping, then I suggest you talk to either safari_craig at craigb@travelbeyond.com or bwanadave at dave@theafricasafari.com. Both are experienced and very knowledgeable.

Italy
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget Safari?

Thank very much for the advice and for the mail adresses. I will contact them.

One more question if possible: what about the mobile safaris, I mean I really like the adventure and like camping as well, however I would like to know if they are confortable or not.

thanks!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
169 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget Safari?

MAQ,

My sons and I went for 14 days and were very comfortable. The bed was a cot, about 30cm off the ground, with a 7-10mm foam mattress and a sleeping bag with pillow. If you really need more comfort, bring an extra pillow.

The domed tents were canvas, 2m x 2m, and about 1.8m high in the middle. Each tent had two cots.

If you have camped in the past, and enjoy camping, you will be very, very happy camping with Bush Camp Safaris. You will have a cook and a camp helper at all times, and have at least one guide with you for all of your trips into the bush. I wrote a long article about our trip in August. You can also view some photos of our trip at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92973754@N00/sets/72157622129106070/

Please contact me with any other questions. I'm happy to help.

Italy
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget Safari?

Hey, thanks again for your help and for the time used to provide me with all this useful information. No doubt things go better when you already know what to expect. ! I will check the photos..! thanks

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
169 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budget Safari?

CORRECTION on e-mail address in previous post:

eric@bushcampsafaris.com

Thanks.