We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Botswana Safe to visit...

Manchester
4 posts
Save Topic
Is Botswana Safe to visit...

Sorry to ask such a question. thinking of visiting in March and know little about the country. Will likely fly into one of the major cities and self drive safari. All thoughts apreciated.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Botswana Safe to visit...

Oh yes. Botswana and Namibia are probably the safest and also easiest countries in Africa to self drive and travel through. Never had a problem. One reason is that these 2 countries are not overpopulated like other countries.

Werner

Eko Tracks

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,795 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Botswana Safe to visit...

Name a safer country.............

I'd recommend anyone looking into Bot's political history - see how it can be done.

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Botswana Safe to visit...

Zambia

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
169 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Botswana Safe to visit...

You will have no issue with the humans. However, stories abound about people who think it's OK to stop in the middle of the bush to check on their engine and get attacked. One ER doc I spoke to talked about the people that go to bed a little drunk, get up at 3am to take a pee, and end up getting mauled by a croc, hippo, lion, etc.

Worry about the animals and your poor judgement that will put you line wot be part of the food chain. Greatest people I've ever had the pleasure of traveling with.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Botswana Safe to visit...

Botswana is a VERY safe country to visit! You will enjoy every minute of your time in this beautiful country, that's for sure!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Auckland
Level Contributor
183 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Botswana Safe to visit...

The potholes and water crossings can swallow you up though.

african bush
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Botswana Safe to visit...

its probibly the safeist country to travel in, go for it

Storm

USA
Level Contributor
703 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Botswana Safe to visit...

Yes. To extend the question, what African country does everyone think is safer than Botswana?

I bet there will not a lot of responses.

Have a great trip.

Auckland
Level Contributor
183 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Botswana Safe to visit...

I'd have to say that despite the media, the travel blogs, and my wife's fear our travels through Zimbabwe were the best in Southern Africa. The people, the roads, the parks and the overall experience we had in Zimbabwe 2009 was hard to beat. Definitely we will be back again.

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Botswana Safe to visit...

Yeah thanks for that, but Botswana is a totally different country to Zimbabwe. Although it is on the border they are very different. I was born in Zim and have also visited Botswana. Although I do agree that Zimbabwe is still relatively safe it's not as safe as Botswana.

Edited: 20 May 2010, 08:57