We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Botswana & Zimbabwe in May

New York City
6 posts
Save Topic
Botswana & Zimbabwe in May

My wife and I are traveling to Botswana & Zimbabwe May 8-22 and need some last minute help with planning. We have never been to Africa and are trusting our travel agent, African travel Inc. to plan our trip for us. Our itinerary so far is as follows:

Day 1-Johannesberg Intercontinental Airport

Day 2 & 3- Eagle Camp

Day 3,4,5- Kwhai River Lodge

Day 6,7,8- Linyanti Bush Camp or Savute Elephant Camp

Day 9& 10- Victoria Falls Hotel

Day 11,12,13-Somalisa Camp Hwnga Natl Park

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

USA
Level Contributor
701 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Botswana & Zimbabwe in May

Looks good to me. The flood is exceptionally high this year so I would ask how that would affect Eagle Camp and Kwhai River Lodge.

The flood is the lifeblood of the Okavango Delta so adequate water is good. But some places have had to alter their normal routines such as boating to a driveable area.

Have a wonderful time.

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Botswana & Zimbabwe in May

Isn't there a chance that the Linyanti Bush Camp might be flooded this year?

USA
Level Contributor
701 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Botswana & Zimbabwe in May

I'd ask someone on the ground, but I'd be more concerned further south.

While this flood is much bigger than those in recent years and will probably be bigger than what I've experienced, I remember fretting about unusual flooding patterns plus excessive rainfall for a Botswana trip of mine a few years ago.

When I arrived there was definitely more water than normal and it affected some of what we did and where we went. Sightings would likely have been different with less water, (of course you can always play what if) but it was still a fantastic trip with unique opportunties, things I had never seen before or since, great photos, wonderful memories, and an overall good time.

I've heard accounts of people who have been to the Linyanti area several weeks ago. Fantastic stuff going on. But it would be best to hear from a recent visitor.

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Botswana & Zimbabwe in May

Its been flooding in Angola...... upstream.

New York City
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Botswana & Zimbabwe in May

Thanks for your reply. I will check with the tour operator before finalizing any plans.

New York City
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Botswana & Zimbabwe in May

Thanks for your reply. I will check with the tour operator before finalizing any plans.

Edited: 18 April 2010, 15:52
New York City
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Botswana & Zimbabwe in May

Why would Linyati be flooded as well?

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Botswana & Zimbabwe in May

Its headwaters are in Angola. Angola has had above normal amounts of rain.

New York City
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Botswana & Zimbabwe in May

Thank you.

Also, since we've never been to Africa, I am concerned we are not spending enough time in each area. We are thinking of eliminating the Victoria Falls portion and adding a day to Eagle Camp as well one of the other camps. Any thoughts?

Botswana
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Botswana & Zimbabwe in May

The itinerary looks ok to me. I notice that you will be spending 2 nights at a water based camp, Eagle Island, and 3 nights in a land based camp, Khwai, - which is a good combination - before you proceed to Linyanti/Savuti. The Delta normally receives its waters from Angolan highlands towards the end of May, but this time there are some lodges that are already affected by the floods, for instance, Mapula Lodge and Jacana Camp. So, wise thing to consult with your travel agent.

During this time you can make use of great deals for the green season offerd by various lodges.

I wouldn't advise you to cancel your trip to Vic Falls, this is one of amazing places not to be missed. 2 nights in Linyanti is enough though.

Minkie - Elan Botswana