We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it so difficult to drive in July in Moremi and Chobe??

Liege Province...
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Is it so difficult to drive in July in Moremi and Chobe??

Hello,

I have a little 4x4 drive experience, but when I read the Lonely Planet, Le petit fûté (in french..),... they say that you need a very good experience in 4x4 driving to visit these 2 beautiful parks. Is it true? Is it so diificult? I've just book a 4x4 but I really hesitate to do the direct road from Maun to Kasane, crossing Moremi (an option) and Chobe...is it the same for the pans? Many thanks for any information...

Lakement

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it so difficult to drive in July in Moremi and Chobe??

There is heavy sand on the 2 track road in some places, but its not that difficult. Any 4x4 will make it. Driving in mud is a different story, but sand is usually ok. You can certainly visit Moremi and drive through Chobe.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it so difficult to drive in July in Moremi and Chobe??

One way of dealing with soft sand is to deflate the tyres so that they have a bigger footprint.

However, if you are going to do this on a regular basis, it would probably be useful to get your hire company to include a 12v compressor in your package.

It's easier to drive on sand in the cooler parts of the day - as the temprature rises the air between the grains expand and they become less tightly packed / softer.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it so difficult to drive in July in Moremi and Chobe??

Interesting point from Werner. Living in the UK and driving a 4x4, mud doesn't worry us. However, sand is the thing I fear! Having started to read the Botswana forum I think we will brave a self-drive trip next July/August. It sounds much more doable than I expected. I've made a note of the advice about the tyres/compressor so thanks for that too.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
183 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it so difficult to drive in July in Moremi and Chobe??

We were on a 14 day mobile safari from Maun-Moremi-Savute Marsh-Kasane. Personally, I wouldn't do a self-drive, although I'm sure there are many benefits to doing it that way.

First, there were several times between Moremi and Savute where our guides had to get out of the truck and wade through water to find the best path through deep (80-120cm) water. In Moremi as well, we forded many wet areas where it was unclear the best path through and the depth of the water.

Second, there are essentially no markers to indicate where to go. Our guides clearly knew the route. However, more than once we took a wrong turn which added 30-60 minutes onto a longgggg drive from Savute to Kasane.

Third, our guides pointed out things that we would have never seen on our own. Animals, plants, mannerisms, etc were all an integral part of our experience.

Fourth, our guides only spoke to other local guides to share sighting information. There was only one exchange with a self-drive group and it was only to get them back on the main road.

Technically, the driving is not bad. You are in sand and in first or second gear 99% of the time and keeping up your speed, keeping the tanks full, and staying on course should get you through the day.

But, there are so many things to concern yourself with that I would consider it more of an adventure than a vacation.

5. Re: Is it so difficult to drive in July in Moremi and Chobe??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2010, 07:23