We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mokoro Stability

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Mokoro Stability

How stable is a mokoro? Is it safe to take a good camera to take photos from in a mokoro? We will be in Botswana on safari in November and are debating whether to purchase a dry bag for our camera and personal items. Thank you.

London, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mokoro Stability

I always take a dry bag to Botswana, whatever the season.

Even if you are not on the water, they are great for keeping your cameras protected from the dust and other elements.

Edited: 27 July 2010, 20:41
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,792 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mokoro Stability

I'd be surprised if you got many good shots from a mokoro. They are not that stable, and there is a guy with a long pole standing behind you.

I've not heard of anyone falling in, but there will almost always be some vibration.

My recollection of the photo opportunities was that it was mainly endless papyrus reeds and reed frogs.

I heard puku bounding through the water behind some reeds and that gave me a fright (thinking it was elephant!). However, if you are not as nervous as me, then maybe it is a good idea. Don't let my feeble experience put you off!

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mokoro Stability

Seeing peterscott's reply makes us wonder if we even want to take a ride in a mokoro while on safari? What are others opinions on mokoro trips in Botswana? Thank you.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mokoro Stability

I meant to check the e-mail notification

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mokoro Stability

I think you should absolutely experience a mokoro trip through the Delta. It's a unique way of seeing the waterways even though you won't get the best photographs, perhaps. Of course with some luck you could get great water level photos of elephants swimming, kingfishers on the reeds, African skimmers, lechwe running away, etc. Even a wide angle shot of a water lily or a frog on a reed with the delta landscape in the background could turn out great. A mokoro is not that stable but I have never capsized in one. While getting in and getting out, keep your camera in your drybag. And avoid standing up to get a better view, that is when things can go wrong.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,792 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mokoro Stability

Sorry if I put you off; didn;t mean to - just to warn you you might not get great photos.

However, it is one of the essential experiences of Botswana.

Would you not take a gondola ride if you were in Venice? I'd say yes. But I wouldn't expect to get great photos from it.

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,919 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mokoro Stability

We did mokoro at Footsteps in the Delta and got some fabulous photos as well as a nice video. while frogs don;t count as big game they photograph beautifully as well as do lilies. we also had an elephant in the channel and got good shots of him while waiting for him to leave! I felt quite comfortable and the ride was very smooth...main thing was to stay relaxed. we have a small drybox (similar to drybag) that's great for digital cameras. and the camera I use is waterproof so that helped .

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mokoro Stability

We too had a super elephant encounter from a mokoro at little kwara. Do a mokoro at least once, even if you don't see much you can get som beautiful shots and it's great for video clips as the sounds when you get home will take you right back there!

London
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Mokoro Stability

Despite being very close to the waterline, mokoros (or I should really say mekoro) are remarkably stable, provided that you're sensible and stay seated. Things would change a bit if you ever decided to stand up!

Your main causes for concern are really getting in, getting out - and any kind of unforeseen incident. Very, very rarely one will be tipped over by a hippo (this might happen once a year at a camp) -and then, if you're wise, you'll worry less about your camera and more about your safety. :-)

So ... In short ... I'd take a light dry bag, and keep the camera to hand whilst you're being punted! Have fun.

10. Re: Mokoro Stability

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2011, 05:17