We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 nights, do 2x2x2 or 3nights x2

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
6 nights, do 2x2x2 or 3nights x2

Working on the itinerary for our Southern Aftrica trip for October 2011. Originally we were thinking 3 nights at 3 camps and doing mix of premier and classic camps. For budget and time reasons it looks as though we can spend 6 nights in Botswana using only Classic camps. Should we do 2 or 3 camps? Which camps to choose to get the best overview? Thanks.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,769 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 nights, do 2x2x2 or 3nights x2

Hi,

What is it that you are trying to get out of your trip?

2 nights somewhere means arriving in the afternoon (usually), dinner, full day, then leave the next day, etc.

If thats what you want, then fine. But if I was spending all that money, I'd rather enjoy the surroundings, and not be packing and unpacking every other day.

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
32 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 nights, do 2x2x2 or 3nights x2

Hi!

We found 2-night stays to be tiring and disruptive. I advise two 3-night stays.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,210 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 nights, do 2x2x2 or 3nights x2

I agree with the three nights, that gives you two full days of drives which gives you a good opportunity to see the best a given camp has to offer.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 nights, do 2x2x2 or 3nights x2

I would also recommend the 3 night stays! ...unless you specifically want to see as many places as possible during your trip, but I also find 2 night stays to be much more tiring than a 3 night stay!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,768 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 nights, do 2x2x2 or 3nights x2

ditto the advice for 3 night. Our last trip we did 3x3 nights and then one 2 night at the end as we were specifically going to last place for Bushman interaction.. not animals. 3 nights actually gives you 2 full days to see what the camps offer

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 nights, do 2x2x2 or 3nights x2

I agree, 3 nights x 2. Much more relaxed, and particularly in Botswana where flights are the mode of transport between camps, it will keep your costs down.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

London
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 nights, do 2x2x2 or 3nights x2

Hi Ryzee - I'd concur, I generally find that 3-night (and even sometimes 4-night) stays work much better than 2-night stays. So 2 x 3-night stays would be my advice.

Ideally choose camps in northern which have a real diversity of environments around them. Eg: like most of the camps in the Delta, ones that can offer good water and land activities. Then two whole days isn’t that long to explore them. You’ll get to know the guides a bit better, and so get more out of them; save a bit of money on inter-camp flights; and have one more relaxing day without a flight!

Chris -

author: Bradt guide to Botswana

owner: Expert Africa

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 nights, do 2x2x2 or 3nights x2

What 2 camps (classic) would be recommended as a good combination? We will be there in October 2011.

London
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 nights, do 2x2x2 or 3nights x2

Hi Ryzee – if you’re thinking ‘classic’ camps, then I’m assuming that you’re using that word to mean the particular ‘classic’ category of Wilderness Safaris’ camps, rather than any more generic meaning of the term.

In that case … in October, my preferences would be a combination of:

Chitabe Camp or, fractionally better in my view, Chitabe Lediba – for game drives; plus either Jacana or Kwetsani, both of which are in areas of large open floodplains with lots of water, so good for water activities.

Little Vumbura is a great choice – excellent for both water and land activities. (I may have mis-remembered, but I think there’s a move to increase its price over and above the normal ‘classic’ rate for 2011. That said – it’s always been a super camp and is probably worth it.)

So if you wanted to put more game-viewing, with just the occasional water activity, then you might go for one of the Chitabe camps, plus Little Vumbura.

Chitabe Lediba plus Little Vumbura is, in my view, a combination that’s very hard to beat.

Chris McIntyre -

author: Bradt guidebooks to Botswana, Namibia, Zambia & Zanzibar

owner: Expert Africa (offices in London & New Zealand)

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 nights, do 2x2x2 or 3nights x2

My advice is not to travel in high season as these days the pricing is not in line with the quality of the gameviewing you can expect.

There are two reasons for this: a wetter cycle in Southern Africa and price hikes in recent years. Unlike in drier years, the difference between winter and summer isn't that contrasting. October used to be spectacular as water was scarce and vegetation was thin on the ground, This is not really the case at the moment.

You won't see much game from a boat in LIttle Vumbura and even Jacana/Kwetsani won't live up to most people's expectations. (Good for malachite kingfishers and pel's fishing owl if you are lucky). Xigera at high water levels is probably your best bet if they still do the boating up to Chief's island. But nothing beats the Chobe river.

Chitabe and Little Vumbura are great camps but like many others, totally overpriced in high season.

I travelled extensively in Northern Botswana (almost 500 days in the last 10 years) .

Johan De Bondt - http://www.skimmerblog.com/