We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we include Cape Town?

midwest
Level Contributor
71 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Should we include Cape Town?

I'm planning a custom itinerary for this summer to include Victoria Falls and safaris in Botswana and Sabi Sabi. We were planning to end the trip in Cape Town but it adds more flight connections to and from Joberg (and more night)

Would we be doing ourselves a disservice by eliminating Cape Town?

I'd appreciate hearing form anyone who has thoughts or input regarding time spent in Cape Town.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Victoria Falls
Victoria Falls
Matabeleland North Province, Zimbabwe
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,932 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we include Cape Town?

Sounds like you have a nice plan in the works. There are ways to logistically sequence your trip to avoid ever spending a night in Johannesburg. If you put Cape Town in the middle of your trip you can also split up your time on safari. BUT – keep in mind that it will be winter in Cape Town and the weather can be iffy or downright bad in our summer (their winter). But, throughout Southern Africa it is a great time to go on safari. Here is a plan that eliminates an overnight in Jo’burg.

Day 1 Land on the SAA flight from JFK (or BA from London) in the morning. Upon arrival, take a charter flight directly to the Sabi Sands for your safari. You should consider not booking Sabi Sabi yet. For the past several years they have been auctioning their rooms on Luxury Link at a pretty decent discount. They are the only Sabi Sands lodge that does this. Sometimes the deals get better as the time gets closer. Here is the current auction price: luxurylink.com/luxury-hotels/… Tour operators can’t match these prices. You should also consider Lion Sands or MalaMala. These are my two favorite lodges in the Sabi Sands. Lion Sands and MalaMala are interior to the Sabi Sands so you do not see fences on your game drives and you don’t have to drive past the public gate. Also, Lion Sands and MalaMala have rivers flowing through the property which attract plenty of animals in the dry season (you are traveling during the dry season).

Day 2/3 Safari!

Day 4 After your morning game drive, take a 20 minute scheduled charter to Nelsruit/MQP. From there you can catch a direct daily flight to Cape Town. If you want to save about $150 you can skip a little bit of your last game drive and get a road transfer for 2 hours to MQP.

Day 5,6,7 Cape Town

Day 8 Take an early flight to Victoria Falls with a plane change in Jo’burg. SAA departs CPT at 0600am and BA departs around 700am. If you fly SAA at 600am you could also arrive in JNB in time to catch the 1010am flight on Air Botswana to Maun. This way, you have the option of going to Botswana or Vic Falls after Cape Town.

Day 9 Vic Falls.

Day 10-16 Botswana. Most lodges raise their prices on July 1 into high season so if you have flexibility and can travel in June the savings can be significant. My personal recommendation: Chitabe, Chitabe Ledibe, Little Vumbura, Xigera, Savuti, or Duma Tau.

Day 17 Fly from Maun to Jo’burg. Fly home this night.

Not sure of your budget but you should also consider your safari in Zimbabwe instead of Botswana. The cost is about 50-60% less on a per night basis and the wildlife is incredible. I have been to Botswana many times and I have taken my wife and kids there as well. Next July I am taking my wife and teenage daughters to Zimbabwe. We will be at Ruckomechi and Little Makalaolo (about $4,000 per person for a six day all-inclusive safari).

I see you are in the Midwest (I live west of Minneapolis). If you are near Minnesota you can fly on Delta/KLM through Jo’burg via Amsterdam. You arrive at 910pm in Jo’burg and can spend the night before beginning the plan outlined above.

In my opinion, the hotels and experience at the Jo’burg airport is 100% safe and secure. You have nothing to worry about if you are “forced” by logistics to spend a night or two here.

Craig Beal – owner – Travel Beyond

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Victoria Falls
Victoria Falls
Matabeleland North Province, Zimbabwe
Maun
Maun
North-West District, Botswana
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we include Cape Town?

It depends on whether you will ever be back in that neck of the woods?

Cape Town is a wonderful city, but if you are going to Africa to see wild game, you won;t see any there (apart from the sea lions and penguins.)

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
USA
Level Contributor
703 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we include Cape Town?

"but if you are going to Africa to see wild game, you won;t see any there (apart from the sea lions and penguins.)"

and Great White Sharks, Whales, and baboons up close on walks with Baboon Matters.

Assuming you are going during the northern hemisphere's summer, which is Cape Town's winter.

June-Sept are great times for Great White Shark viewing, which is done from Cape Town. If something like this is of interest, along with the other things Cape Town offers, you may want to tack on a few days, especially if your answer to whether you'll be back is "probably not."

Why don't you share an itinerary with and without, along with costs if you wish.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we include Cape Town?

Hi,

Would appreciate recommendations as to special deals in Botswana that include either Zambezi Queen or Nguni Voyager. Can anyone advise whether the higher prices charged by Z.Q. compared to N.V. are warranted and are there luxury lodges in the vicinity that have last minute specials?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
5. Re: Should we include Cape Town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2011, 06:20