We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kalahari or not

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
91 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Kalahari or not

We are touring through Chobe, Suvete and Moremi in April, then on to Kruger by road. Our current plan after Maun is to pass through Nata, then south through Palapye. Someone suggested that Kalahari is excellent at this time of year and should not be missed. They also said it would take 3 days (2 nights). We have one extra night to spare which we would likely add to Kruger but would not be able to spend 2 nights without trimming something else from the trip (maybe one less day in Moremi or from our next leg to Tofo, Mozambique).

I am interested in other opinions. Is the Kalahari a must see or, after seeing Suvete and Moremi, is it more of the same?

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
385 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kalahari or not

Driving all the way to the Kalahari for one night may not be an option because of the distance. It is difficult to say if it is a must see. The Kalahari is certainly a unique ecosystems and has its own attraction, while some people may not agree because of its vast monotonous landscape.

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Kalahari or not

Thats quite a side track that adds significantly to your driving time. Why not head to the Tuli Block. It is along your way to Kruger too.

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
91 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kalahari or not

The Africa Adventure Company's book recommends a stop in the Tuli block. But I seldom see this suggested here on TA and it seldom appears as a stop on rack tours. I would like to know more about it. Is it worth spending a day there? How does it differ from other game parks?

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kalahari or not

The Kalahari is very different to Moremi and Savuti and best visited between December and May, when the seasonal rains provide ample grazing for desert game such as springbok and oryx, who in turn attract predators such as lion and cheetah. The Kalahari has some the best wildlife viewing in Botswana between January and May, and probably better than Savuti during this time

You really need at least 2 nights to appreciate the area, plus it's a distance to get to.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kalahari or not

I love the Kalahari and it may be worth a detour to get there.

But I can certainly vouch for Tuli, which I consider to be one of the undiscovered gems of wildlife experience. There are a number of lodges catering for a range of budgets. I've stayed there recently (you'll find an overview of our trip on the thread fodors.com/community/africa-the-middle-east/… We only stayed one night in the Tuli block but it was magnificent.

The reserve exhibits quite a diverse landscape to the rest of Botswana, but it lies on the confluence of two major rivers, and that provides a wealth of wildlife. It's also a "wild dog" hot-spot.

Edited: 02 January 2011, 18:50
6. Re: Kalahari or not

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2011, 06:24