We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Botswana + Namibia: is it possible?

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
41 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Botswana + Namibia: is it possible?

Hello everybody,

once again when I need start planning a trip I come here... last time was for a 3 weeks vacation in China, now I need some tips for an African tour!

I am used to plan and organize my trip entirely by myself, with my girlfriend, but it seems like for Namibia+Botswana it is almost impossible, as too much expensive!!

Before even starting may I have your opinion about the needed budget for a 3 weeks trip? We have no problem in normal accomodations, we are young and easy, last trips were Vietnam, China.. so we really do not look for anything more than what's ok. Is it possible to organize the trip by ourself? Any reference for local agency that can help? Any budget idea?

Lonely planet is describing as "not to miss":

Namibia:

- Etosha National Park

- Swakopmund

- Sossuvlei & Sesriem

Botswana:

- Okawango delta

- Moremi game reserve

- Makgadikgadi Pans & Nxai Pan

- Chobe River front

THANKS in advance,

Luca

(from Italy)

us
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Botswana + Namibia: is it possible?

Good Day,

I'm planning a trip for this fall and found that the drop fee for a 4x4 rented in Windhoek and dropped in Kasane was less than a flight for two from Windhoek to Victoria Falls. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $400 US.

Of course there's fuel and lodging fees en route.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Botswana + Namibia: is it possible?

plexo, are you just talking about the one way fee? That sounds possible for $400, but you still have to pay the daily rental fee. Which for a cheap 4x4 is at least $100 per day, more for a fully equipped 4x4. And you're going to want to spend at least 10 days or so, so that's another $1000 at least, on top of your $400 one way fee, plus fuel, camping fees, park fees, etc. Like Mfuwe said, Namibia is still reasonable to do on a self-drive budget, but Botswana is rather expensive.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
299 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Botswana + Namibia: is it possible?

* You can easily spend 2 weeks in Namibia and 1 week in Botswana.

EkoTracks,

Sorry if this constitutes a 'thread hijack'.....

I'm curious - why twice as much time in Namibia as in Botswana? We've been thinking about Batswana for some time, I did not see as many things to do in Namibia.

Thanks, Phil

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Botswana + Namibia: is it possible?

Just in case you want to trim expenses a bit more, there is now a luxury bus between Maun and Joburg. http://tinyurl.com/4hw72lp

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Botswana + Namibia: is it possible?

lbuggs -

I see you haven't had a response to your question. If I may attempt one....

The original trip mentioned 3 well-known attractions in Namibia. I think the message from Ekotaks implied that there is much more to Namibia than these 3 places.

In fact, I think the poster, mfuwe, has been to Namibia 3 times and never been to Sossussvlei or Swakopmund.

It depends what you want. I have done a combined trip with 7 days in both, and returned to both countries several times, as there is definitely more there to see and do in a month.

Your problem is more - what to leave out.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,785 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Botswana + Namibia: is it possible?

Thanks Peter,

I did not answer Lbugs as I simply did not understand the question "things to do"? I have had a problem trimming out my 'things to do' to fit a five week trip and this for my fourth visit. (and I am going to Swakopmund and some sandy bits this time!)

Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Botswana + Namibia: is it possible?

Hello everybody,

I am planning for a roundtrip from Windhoek-Gazni-Maun-Nata-Gabarone-Gazni-Windhoek in 3 weeks. Just a skeleton plan now. I would like to rent a 4wd from windoek. The other option is to do the roundtrip in Botswana alone, then i will miss the Kalahari highway. I would like to know whether it is possible in 3 weeks and the price/day (without flights). I am planning on staying in tents.

I had been in Namibia twice, including a 3 week roundtrip with a 2wd (dec-jan). But I have never done a 4wd trip before. Also, the trip is planned from mid dec- mid jan. So a bit worried about the rainy season in botswana. So any suggestions, recommendations etc are deeply appreciated.

CA
Level Contributor
250 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Botswana + Namibia: is it possible?

I planned a 35 day self-drive trip through Namibia and Botswana (incl Vic Falls) with Explore Namibia, Explore Botswana company. This company and the people in this forum spot who are knowledgeable about both of these countries in addition to the two Bradt guides helped me plan the trip. We are leaving beginning of September and are doing a combo of mostly camping with some BB and that runs for EU 8000. So, yes, it is expensive but going on a safari on my terms is on my short list... so here we go.

good luck with your planning.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
923 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Botswana + Namibia: is it possible?

Echo BushKid who I am happy to see on the forum. He encouraged us when we were planning our own trip last year--and it was our first. When you say $100 euros a day, I hope you are not including the camper rental. It's about $120 U.S. a day.

By all means camp; it is the most authentic experience in Africa. And it's cheap to get a sat phone from the rental companies. In Maun we used Mackenzie, and in Windhoek Kia. Mackenzie was terrific but Kia less so; they had the best campers at the lowest prices. You MUST ask for HIGH CLEARANCE campers for the Kalahari.

20. Re: Botswana + Namibia: is it possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 01:15
Get answers to your questions about Botswana