We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electrical outlets Botswana/Zambia

Bucks
Level Contributor
7 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Electrical outlets Botswana/Zambia

What config plug does one need for these 2 countries. Is it the 3 round plug config or what?

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Electrical outlets Botswana/Zambia

some lodges have the 3 round pin, but most use the English configuration, 3 square pins.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,012 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Electrical outlets Botswana/Zambia

In Zambia I found mainly the UK style 3 square pin plugs.

In Botswana, I found mainly the South African 3 round pin plugs.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Electrical outlets Botswana/Zambia

Either way. Invest in a world wide adapter. Maplins in Sheffield have a good robust one with Anti surge protection for just £12. They do on line ordering.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,012 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Electrical outlets Botswana/Zambia

Be careful of "world wide adaptors"-I spent 3 months last year working in lodges in Botswana and I've seen so many people with so-called "world wide adaptors" that don't do South African plugs.

I've also seen people who have adaptors that have been sold as South African and they are round 3 pin plugs but smaller.

So check carefully, or buy in country- if you pass through Jo'burg you should be able to pick one up at the airport. Alternatively most lodges will have them available for you to borrow.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Electrical outlets Botswana/Zambia

I agree.

We had that trouble in ZA last month but a simple adapter from the local hardware shore fixed that. Annoying that I could have plugged into US, Euro or Ozzy fittings but not where I was.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Electrical outlets Botswana/Zambia

Here is a link showing both the UK (WA-7) and the South African (WA-10) adapters required for Zambia and Botswana:

international-electrical-supplies.com/zambia…

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Bucks
Level Contributor
7 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Electrical outlets Botswana/Zambia

Thank you all - helpful

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Electrical outlets Botswana/Zambia

The rest of the world knows the WA-10:

as the large (and old) British Type M.

and the WA-7 as the:

Type G plug is commonly known as the 13-amp plug, and technically known as the BS 1363 (British 13 A/230-240 V 50 Hz earthed and fused)

Have a great trip

9. Re: Electrical outlets Botswana/Zambia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 July 2011, 20:53
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
13 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Electrical outlets Botswana/Zambia

Be careful and bring more than one kind. On my trip, the Americans who brought adapters that were labled for South Africa did not fit.