We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

another question about baggage on Air Botswana

Georgia
Level Contributor
672 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
another question about baggage on Air Botswana

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this question has been asked and answered but I haven't found it if it has. We will be traveling on A.B. from JNB to MUB. We will each be carrying a duffle type bag with our clothes, which will easily fit the weight limit restrictions for the chartered small aircraft flights that we'll be taking from camp to camp once we get there (and we will be able to carry them onto the plane for our flight from the States)... we'll also have a smaller backpack with valuables, passports, etc. My question is, should we plan to have to check the larger duffle bags at JNB, or can we hand them over to the baggage guy as we step onto the plane, to be put underneath in the cargo area? We are much more comfortable with that idea, although we won't have anything extremely valuable in the bags.

Thanks for any info you might be able to provide.

Georgia
Level Contributor
672 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: another question about baggage on Air Botswana

Thanks RJ. This is helpful. For example, I didn't know for sure that the "regular" allowance of one carry on plus one smaller briefcase/bag was the same for these flights. I've flown on some very small planes before, where they are clearly too small to allow more than one, single small bag per passenger inside the cabin.

That said, my "small" bag will be holding 15 lbs of camera equipment, so I probably should heed the advice that you send to your photographers on your trips.

p.s. I've checked out your website in the past-- INCREDIBLE images!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: another question about baggage on Air Botswana

No worries.....Thanks your feedback on my website.

This PDF may be of assistance.

rjohnsonimages.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2…

Georgia
Level Contributor
672 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: another question about baggage on Air Botswana

VERY helpful, Russell. I won't be bringing as much equipment as most of the folks on your guided trip... but I do plan to bring 2 camera bodies, with a 100-400 lens on one (the body is a 50D so it has the 1.6x factor on it), and a 24-70 lens on the other one (similar camera body). I also have the wide angle 10-22 lens which I'll bring for any wide angle shots, plus a smaller p/s type camera for snapshots-- it has a video function on it and my husband likes to play around with that while I'm shooting the still shots. Oh-- I might as well ask: I have 2 tele-extenders-- one 2.0 and one 1.4... but I was thinking that it might not even be necessary to bring either one (??) Or would you suggest sticking one of them in my bag? With the 1.4 I lose one stop of light but with the 2 .0 I lose 2 stops, which I've found renders the extender nearly useless for me anyway......

This combo has worked pretty well for me on past trips, and I can successfully hand-hold the 100-400 if necessary, although I'll bring a beanbag and a monopod in case I can use them in the jeep. Anyway, I suppose this is not relevant to the original topic. But thanks again-- I look forward to reading all of these tips for photographers in terms of packing, equipment needs, etc.

London, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: another question about baggage on Air Botswana

Which camps are you visiting and do you have a private vehicle?

My other uses a 50D and 100-400 and she had no issues. I would take a 1.4x, though in the private concessions a little field craft and being able to off-raod gets you round that issue.

In addition to a beanbag, I think a manfrotto superclamp is better than a monopod.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
361 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: another question about baggage on Air Botswana

I'll just pipe in with an observation about Air Botswana after flying them several times a year for multiple years..... Don't worry too much about arriving at their Joburg check-in counter really early because there won't be anyone there unless they have started checking in for a flight. And even if their sign indicates they are checking in for a different flight, there's a good chance that they can check you in for your flight also.

In terms of baggage security, make sure your checked bags have locks and/or zip ties (if zip ties, then keep nail clippers in your carry-on so you can get the zip ties off later). I have not personally had items pilfered in the Joburg airport, but better safe than sorry!

Have a great trip. And enjoy the tasty little packets of biltong (jerky) that Air Botswana hands out as an in-flight snack.

Carrie

Mentioned in this post
Flint Hills, Kansas
Level Contributor
90 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: another question about baggage on Air Botswana

Just returned from safari in botswana and Zim. We took the flight to Maun from joburg after two days in joburg also. We checked our duffle through and had no problem. They weigh all your bags. We had two small carry ons each. And that was not a problem. I did see people carry their larger bags on the bus to the plane to be put in the hold as they boarded.

Mentioned in this post
Maun
Maun
Ngamiland East, Botswana
17. Re: another question about baggage on Air Botswana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2012, 22:18