We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip in December--where to go--Botswana--S Africa--Tanzania?

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Trip in December--where to go--Botswana--S Africa--Tanzania?

We are planning a trip to Africa in late December. We can't decide where to go: Botswana (Chobe area), South Africa (Kruger NP), or Tanzania (Serengeti). We will be there about 10 days.

We are concerned about temperature and rain.

How accessible are the roads during this time?

Are the main animals truly that hard to see at this time of the year?

Which are has a more "authentic" African experience?

We prefer budget tent lodges, but aren't into digging our own toilets :)

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip in December--where to go--Botswana--S Africa--Tanzania?

What is an 'authentic' African experience?

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip in December--where to go--Botswana--S Africa--Tanzania?

Of the three options you mentioned I would not go to the Chobe area in Botswana in December. Rather go to the Okavango Delta, if budget allows. Kruger is good in December, and the Serengeti will also be fantastic. The southern and central parts of the Serengeti (Seronera and Ndutu areas) are excellent during December. Kruger will be a lot less expensive than the Serengeti, and you will be able to go on open game viewing vehicles. Typically in Serengeti you will get a closed vehicle with a pop-up roof. Both Kruger and the Serengeti will be rather busy, lots of vehicles (although in Greater Kruger you can of course choose a private budget tented camp like Shindzela and not have many other vehicles around). Both will give you excellent game viewing.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,561 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip in December--where to go--Botswana--S Africa--Tanzania?

When you say "budget tented lodges"- how much do you expect to pay?

I think budget is likely to make your decision for you. Botswana doesn't have much in the way of "budget" options- usually the most cost effective is to do a mobile camping safari, and I don't think those will be running in December. Maybe very early December.

Maun
Level Contributor
207 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip in December--where to go--Botswana--S Africa--Tanzania?

I will mainly address Botswana as this is on the Botswana forum, I am sure you are getting other ideas for Tanzania and South Africa. RSA is going to be the most affordable due to the flights/transfers, there are less costs involved within South African then flying onto another destination.

There are a range of affordable group trips that drive up from South Africa, but for the most 'authentic' Botswana experience you are better off flying up on Air Botswana to Maun and heading on safari from there (less time travelling and more time in the wilderness).

Botswana has a range of more affordable camps (such as Sango Safari Camp, Oddballs/Enclave and Gunns Camp) that are great value in December, along with a range of usually much less affordable camps that have excellent specials on (Wilderness Safaris, Kwando, Sanctuary Retreats) - but as most people above are asking - what is affordable to you?

Camping trips - usually you don't dig your own loo, but it is a bush loo! It is less popular to camp in the green/rainy season, mainly as packing up and moving camp in the rain is not a lot of fun. However there are trips and it does not rain constantly. Letaka have one end of November and another early December, not sure if they will be happening yet, and Bush Ways have several, the one that is already guaranteed to depart is over Christmas.

I think that if you are comfortable with the Air Botswana price to get up to Botswana in December that there are plenty of good value options for travel.

I guess it is a matter of weighing up your options within your budget range for each country and decide from there....

5. Re: Trip in December--where to go--Botswana--S Africa--Tanzania?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 23:16