We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa For Aussie Tourists

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Visa For Aussie Tourists

Hi There. I am traveling to Africa next March. I intend to go to Tanzania, Rwanda, Kenya, Malawi, Zambia, Botswana, Namibia and South Africa. Did (as an Australian Tourist) you get Visa for any of these before you go? Was the US dollar accepted widely as I am reading or do I just use that to convert to local currency and does the airports have such a money exchange. Thank You

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa For Aussie Tourists

You do need a visa for Kenya and it is $25.00 USD and you really need the exact money. We took USD as a lot of things are in USD but we also used the USD to convert to local currency. We tipped in local currency and paid entrance fees in local currency. You really need to go into each country and check the details. Zambia is $50USD but if you are going back and forth you may need a multiple entry visa. Also I did read something about if you book a lodge than can somehow arrange for it to be free if you are put onto a list. Not sure how that works?

PS: ANZ debit visa Travel card worked fine in Kenya. Forget about travellers cheques.

Also ensure your passport has plenty of pages and SA and a few countries want you to have 2 free pages etc.

Sorry still studying about visas for rest of countries.

Good luck

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa For Aussie Tourists

Sorry forgot Botswana is free and gets stamped in on arrival.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa For Aussie Tourists

That's great, Thank you very much for your advice, It is very much appreciated that you have taken the time to reply. Again Many Thanks.

Maun
Level Contributor
207 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa For Aussie Tourists

Hi there - just a short note on the first response - the Zambian visa waiver program has not been in effect for a couple of years. So you defnitely need a visa and it is $50 US single or $80 US double entrance payable upon entrance. you cannot get a multiple entrance visa on arrival anywhere except Lusaka.

Passport needs 6 months validity as well (from the last date of travel).

Botswana, Namibia and South Africa, no visa payable on arrival for up to 3 months.

For the other countries I am not up to date with their current regulations.

Kind Regards

Erica

5. Re: Visa For Aussie Tourists

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 12:19