We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Agency Recommendation

virginia
Level Contributor
22 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Agency Recommendation

We just returned from a wonderful 2 week trip to Chobe, Okavango Delta and Makgadikgadi. I highly recommend Wildlight Safaris. wildlightsafaris.com/botswana-safaris/…

Patricia was a delight to work with and gave us such good information in planning our trip and our itinerary, which was set up perfectly. Our stay in various camps throughout the Delta and Chobe allowed us to see most of the big game and even wild dogs. Makgadikgadi was such a contrast, and it was such a treat to see all the zebras as well as spend time with the Bushmen.

perth
Level Contributor
4 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Travel Agency Recommendation

I've made numerous post to TA, so not one post wonder. I've about to embark on my third safari arranged by Patricia of Wildlight safari and cannot praise the quality of her work enough! My wife last week heard worrying reports about the danger of travelling to Uganda at the moment. Patricia put in a lot of work to establish the situation and phoned me (in Australia) rather than just emailing. I'm certainly not on the payroll, though perhaps I should be with the number of recommendations I've made to friends about the safari agency!

Mentioned in this post
Uganda
Uganda
Africa
Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
1 post
232 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Travel Agency Recommendation

Dearest Patricia,

We have just returned on Saturday (we had to go to Switzerland for a week after our grand African trip), and just got down to clearing our emails and work! Zimbabwe and Botswana are amazing! We really marvelled the superb level of hospitality they provided to us in the midst of the wilderness. We particularly enjoyed Selina and Jao Camp, and met some really wonderful staff and people on the trip. Between the two camps, we will be hard pressed to pick a favourite.

Game viewing wise, Hwange offered the most incredible experience. We had some really good sightings of lions, and a close shave with a lioness who darted right next to Vignesh’s side of the jeep and got away with his blanket which fell off the vehicle. THAT incident was unnerving, because we couldn’t see what the lioness was after, and she was just making her way toward us/the vehicle in her predatory mode. Ruth, our host, and Spike, our guide, made our stay at Hwange a really pleasant and memorable one.

The one day stay at Victoria Falls was, needless to say, an extremely impressive one. We really enjoyed the old world charm of the Vic Falls Hotel, and had really good conversations with the waiters who served us at the restaurant and bar. These guys have worked there for decades, and have seen the hotel and country evolved through the ages. We had so much to learn from them! The immensity and sheer strength of the “smoke that thunders” was such a sight to behold! It is a good reminder of our smallness in this world, a truly humbling experience. That’s one item off our bucket list :)

The landscape and water channels flanked by endless expanse of tall reeds at the delta in Botswana really blew our minds away! It’s really hard to imagine that this little slice of heaven exists on the same earth that we are on, haha! We had the most wonderful welcoming party on our way to Selinda when a herd of elephants crossed the channel right in front of our boat. At Selinda, we were spoiled to bits by the warm hospitality of Lizzie, Dee, and the team. Their commitment and dedication are truly commendable, their passion infectious. Our guide, Donald, was cheeky and fun, and went all out and drove a long distance so Vignesh could fulfil his wish of seeing the pack of wild dogs idling in their den with their 10 puppies! There were elephants EVERYWHERE… and we had a hippo grazing right next to our room while we had our dinner. Mind-blown.

Baines camp was lovely too, though I must let in to say that our previous experience with Selinda had set the bar so high that one could not help but be slightly disappointed with the little lesser degree of warmth and hospitality from the management team here. Objectively speaking, the property is gorgeous but we were left pretty much on our own throughout the stay, and the management folks were only present to do the “meet and greet”, an act seemingly done out of duty than a real desire to make us feel welcomed. Little effort was made to allow guests to interact with each other (we were not even introduced to each other), and there was no pre-dinner huddle at the campfire which I understood to be an important element in Botswana hospitality. The real winners at the camp were the service staffs, and our guide Fred. I’m not sure if that’s how other people like it, but for a camp as small as Baines is, Vignesh and I were both looking forward to a slightly more personalised touch. Food was excellent though, I’m still drooling over the grilled fish I had there! That said, the one day excursion out with Doug and Sandy with their 3 elephants Jabu, Thembi and Marula was indeed an experience of a lifetime, a great learning experience, and we enjoyed ourselves thoroughly.

Before I arrived at Jao, my dear husband had told me that he had simply left the best camp for the last. The helicopter ride in was a real treat, I cannot imagine a better way of beholding the vastness and beauty of the delta, the wondrous work of nature with its varied landscapes. Jao camp was so luxurious, and the staff so marvellous, we couldn’t ask for a better way to end our trip. Our host, Nadia, her boyfriend Jacques and their team really served from their hearts and went the extra mile to ensure our needs were well taken care of and accommodated. We surmised that perhaps, it is precisely their lack of accessibility to everywhere else, that they had to really think way more meticulously to anticipate the guests’ needs, and thus we were delighted to find that their level of hospitality surpassed even the best rated hotels in the cities! Both Vignesh and I aspire to run a small lodge of our own in the near future, and we found there so many positive examples we can learn from, and emulate in our own establishment next time.

Thanks Patricia, for organising this for us. The trip would not be possible if you did not piece everything together for us in such a tight timeframe. We’ve heard from many other guests that they had trouble securing this and that camp because they were fully booked out way in advance, but somehow you miraculously managed to fit us in to where we wanted to stay. THANK YOU! Wildlight Safaris is our perfect safari travel planner.

Mentioned in this post
33. Re: Travel Agency Recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2015, 06:17