We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Safari Botswana ot Tanzania??

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
First Safari Botswana ot Tanzania??

Thinking of going on a safari in May/June 2013 if that is recommended open to other times if suggested. I read somewhere Botswana was the better of a first safari, looking to stay 12-14days with a budget of about 8,000/pp. Would love to stay in places that have luxury accomadations but also feel like a part of Africa out in nature. Really interested in seeing the Big five. Was looking into Tanzania and the Serengeti then read about Botswana. Would love to hear recommendations for both and also touring outfits. Would like it to be a private tour for about 5-6 people. Also wonder if Victoria falls could fit in any of this? Thanks for any help!

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,672 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: First Safari Botswana ot Tanzania??

You need to prioritize your wish list. If big 5 game driving is top of list, Kenya/Tanzania. Both areas have awesome lodges and tours but are very different. If Vic Falls is top of list then it's easy, Botwsana. If birding is a top of list, Botswana.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,233 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Safari Botswana ot Tanzania??

RV249 - why choose Botswana over East Africa for birding? IMO, the opposite holds true. In some areas a 100 species a day is possible (if you're really keen!). We have great experiences in both places. Given the choice I would still find it a difficult call. The deciding factor for me could be the absolute variety of ecosystems available in Kenya if you are prepared to move between parks. Soda lakes, fresh water river systems, verdant grasslands, semi-desert, snow covered mountain, hot springs, bamboo forest, coastal palm forest, coral reef, etc.

Agree with your point about Vic Falls. We visited at the end of a two week trip through Moremi/Savuti/Chobe.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,672 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First Safari Botswana ot Tanzania??

Good points safaifiend, we loved Lake Nakura and such. I think the op needs to make a priority list. Ngorogoro Crater is awesome for a big 5 appetite. Vic Falls may be most folks tipping point on the decision. Can't go wrong either way.

4. Re: First Safari Botswana ot Tanzania??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2013, 10:35