We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Botswana self drive itinerary help

Durban, South Africa
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Botswana self drive itinerary help

Hi

We are planning a self drive trip to Botswana from late Sept to early October and have the below itinerary. Please could you help answer some of my questions below.

Day 1 Khama Rhino Sanctuary

Day 2 Kubu Island

Day 3 South Camp (Nxai Pans)

Day 4 South Camp (Nxai Pans)

Day 5 Third Bridge (Moremi)

Day 6 Khwai / North Gate (Moremi)

Day 7 Khwai / North Gate (Moremi)

Day 8 Nata Lodge campsite

Day 9 Tuli Block campsite

Day 10 Joburg

Unfortuntely we only have the school holidays so it will be fairly rushed. My main questions are:

Is this a reasonable itinerary? Will we have enough time to enjoy Kubu Island, Moremi and Nxai?

What will Nxai be like this time of year? Would CKGR or Makgadikgadi be better options?

Considering the time of year I would imagine that the main attraction is Moremi. That said should we rather do Kazikini Community Camp on day 4 so we can get into Moremi early on day 5. Or is 2 days in Nxai and 3 days in Moremi a good split?

Any better suggestions to Nata Lodge and Tuli Block as stop overs on the way home? Possibly Planet Boabab instead of Nata Lodge? We like the feeling of being in the bush and having scenic campsites over comfort. Lastly where would you suggest camping in Tuli Block and is there access to a game reserve from one of these camp sites?

Any responses will be much appreciated!!

Thanks

Struan

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Botswana self drive itinerary help

Hi Struan (again - Lol!),

It's a fairly good itinerary on a compressed trip.

You'll have sufficient time to enjoy Kubu, and Nxai Pan, but Nxai Pan to Third Bridge might be pushing it a bit. I would suggest that you stay at Kaziikini or South Gate that night (prefer Kaziikini - it's a heck of a lot cheaper - park fees and camping fees). It's a long drive day, but possible.

Possibly do one night Third bridge, one night Khwai (or Khwai Community site - Magotho). Khwai camp possibly a better bet due to possible access constraints. I love all those camps, so difficult to choose the right combo).

Nata is a good choice, and so is Tuli. I don't know any campsites up in Tuli any more (but I'm going up there in 10 days time to update my ideas).

It's a good itinerary that breaks up your long drives into manageable bits.

Enjoy!

Russell

Maun
Level Contributor
207 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Botswana self drive itinerary help

Hi there,

Agreed with above.

As Bushkid said, try and stop at Kazakini or south Gate rather than going all the way to Third Bridge - no point in over rushing.

As much as enjoy Planet Baobab, if you only have one night, I actually prefer Nata Lodge, you are just as much in the bush and the birdlife and bush surrounding the camp is great. Planet Baobab is not actually on the pans, it is quite near the main road as well, a bit less vegetated. so unless you are actually spending 2 nights and doing activiites - go with Nata Lodge.

I have not been to Tuli for years and stayed on private farms then, so sorry - not so good with advice there.

Kind Regards

Erica

Durban, South Africa
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Botswana self drive itinerary help

Hi Russell / Erika

Thanks for the help! Unfortunately my dates at third bridge and khwai are set in stone so I think I am going to change it to one night in Nxai (day 3) and then spend the night of day 4 at kaziikini. Will one night be enough in Nxai? I dont really have much of a choice its either one night in Nxai or leave it out completely...

Look forward to hearing how your tuli trip goes...enjoy!

4. Re: Botswana self drive itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 06:42