We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Botswana vs. Tanzania

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
172 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Botswana vs. Tanzania

Hi,

We are planning a safari trip for about a week at the end of Sept, but would also like to cover Cape Town after the end of the week safari. Cape Town is rather difficult and long to get to from Tanzania, so was considering a safari in Botswana. Is this is good option for that time of the year? Any opinions on Tanzania vs. Botswana? And any reviews on Cape Town?

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,165 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Botswana vs. Tanzania

Both are superb safari destinations.

I think you would be mad to visit Cape Town and Tanzania in the same trip.

I've heard there will soon be direct flights - Botswana / Cape Town, but otherwise you would go via Johannesburg.

Have you considered a safari in South Africa? Kruger is pretty good too.

Cape Town is one of the worlds best cities, and it has a forum to itself if you want more information....

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Botswana vs. Tanzania

You may want to consider South Luangwa NP (Zambia) and Mana Pools (Zimbabwe). Sept is a dynamite time to visit those parks.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,447 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Botswana vs. Tanzania

I think you've had some fairly sensible comments on this on the Tanzania branch.

I agree you'd be mad to try and combine Cape Town and Tanzania so either drop Cape Town or pick a Southern African safari destination.

Botswana is very expensive and the time period you are looking at is high season. So if budget is an issue look at, well, just about anywhere else- South Africa itself and Zimbabwe is a good idea . I love South Luangwa but I think it is pushing it in terms of distance from Cape Town.

I note you only have a week for the safari- you could easily spend that in 2 different camps in the Kruger area, or in Zim you could combine Hwange and Mana Pools and a night or 2 at Vic Falls.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
172 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Botswana vs. Tanzania

Thank you for your advise! I think we will not do Cape Town with Tanzania combined but still trying to figure out another itinerary that is more suitable. Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
5. Re: Botswana vs. Tanzania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 22:47