We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sat phone and GPS for hire one way Kasane to Maun?

loomis ca
Level Contributor
138 posts
482 reviews
Save Topic
Sat phone and GPS for hire one way Kasane to Maun?

We would like to hire a SAT phone and GPS for our 7-8 days travelling through Chobe and Caprivi. We will begin our journey in Kasane and end in Maun.

Does anyone have any ideas if this is possible, and if so costs and providers of this service? We are going to have our vehicle a total of 30 days and really don't want to go to the expense for the full 30 days if we don't have to.

I guess the next logical question would be..

With a Hilux 4x4, traveling in a single vehicle, no convoy, Nov 1-8 2013, is it absolutely necessary to carry both or could we get by with one or the other or none at all with a good map?

Itinerary

Kasane

Ihaha

Savuti

Xakanaxa

Third Bridge

Magotho

Maun

Thank you for your help!

Kathy

Allentown...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sat phone and GPS for hire one way Kasane to Maun?

I don't believe it is possible to hire Sat phone and GPS locally in Kasane unless it is preordered for you from South Africa at a hefty cost..One ways are possible if you have it freighted on a flight from maun back to kasane.

You are better getting all required maps downloaded on a gps from the US, and traveling that way and have a pay per use satellite phone from the US or SA. It will probably still cost less from the US. Garmins have pretty good for maps.

It is always better to have 2 sources of references - electronic map and printed paper maps - that is incase you breakone or loose the paper one somehow..

Visram

AfricanMecca Safaris

loomis ca
Level Contributor
138 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sat phone and GPS for hire one way Kasane to Maun?

Dear Visram

Thank you so much for your response. Looks like a digital map, GPS, and paper map are going to have to do it. Plus extra caution along the way.

Kathy

Allentown...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sat phone and GPS for hire one way Kasane to Maun?

You are welcome Kathy. Yes, that is the way to go. Caution needs high priority when traveling in Africa.

Visram

AfricanMecca Safaris

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sat phone and GPS for hire one way Kasane to Maun?

Check with Maun Self Drive 4x4. http://www.maunselfdrive4x4.com/ They do normally hire out garmin gps's with Tracks4Africa digital maps loaded on them, and have the T4A Botswana paper map that compliments that. They also hire out sat phones. You will need campsite reservations too, which they can do for you.

If the sat phone issue is such a big problem, get a mobile phone and wing it when you take the route between Kasane and Maun. There will be traffic on this route. Just leave earlier in the day when you change camps. By 'law', mobile safari operators must stop to assist and most other people would stop too. Generally, everyone takes the same tracks when changing campsites in Moremi, Savute and Chobe. Sat phones has become a very common accessory for hire vehicles and mobile safari companies.

loomis ca
Level Contributor
138 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sat phone and GPS for hire one way Kasane to Maun?

Thank you Luangwablonde. I have followed your posts for a long time, particularly when we visited Zambia 2 years ago. Love your practical, sound advice.

I have been in contact with Maun 4x4. Khutsi is booking our campsites. Great communicator and doing an excellent job. Evidently they cannot help with the Sat phone or GPS unless we rent our vehicle from them. For a 32 day trip, it was quite a bit more originating in Botswana, rather than hiring in Namibia. I would agree though. Their service and information is top notch.

Thank you again for your assistance and response.

Kathy

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sat phone and GPS for hire one way Kasane to Maun?

If you arrive at Joburg, I can look into locating a sat phone and gps to hire, with uptodate Tracks4africa map installed and paper map. It would be from either a South African company or maybe a private party. To bring that stuff on board a plane to Africa adds weight and a hassle.

I am somewhat surprised the company you are hiring from does not offer this.

loomis ca
Level Contributor
138 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sat phone and GPS for hire one way Kasane to Maun?

What a nice offer Luangwablonde. Unfortunately, we are planning on flying directly to WDH. I think our plane is in JNB for just a few short hours. Nothing is booked yet, but we are pretty close.

Yes, our Namibian car hire company can arrange for gps and sat phones but only for the entire duration, looking like 32 days, when we really only need it for the 8 days in Chobe and Moremi. That's why I was looking for a cheaper alternative.

In any event, we will do careful planning and decide on that specific later on after more research on the road conditions etc.

Thank you again for your help.

Kathy

Le Bar-sur-Loup...
Level Contributor
30 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sat phone and GPS for hire one way Kasane to Maun?

Kathy, carrying a GPS and Sat Phone onboard is very good advice, especially in Bostswana, the areas you will be travelling the tracks become a maze, and depending on the water levels which do rise, makes some of the tracks impassable, requiring the occassional detour. when out on game drives the last thing you want to be doing is spending time looking at a map instead of game viewing. This equipment works hand in hand to give you peace of mind that you can explore freely and find your way and be in a position to call for help if you do get into trouble. Before buying my own phone I rented one in Johannesburg for a month trip into Botswana, it turned out the battery only held it's charge for about ten minutes which was annoying, but since we had fitted an inverter our Land Rover we could use it that way, it was expensive and we never got our deposit back despite many promises, did not regret renting it however. So check the gear if you do rent. The Tracks4Africa digital maps and printed InfoMap's recommended are both good to carry for reasons stated above

Unfortunatley cannot help with locating equipment but agree that it is essential equipment, along with a winch, recovery equipment and a compressor.

Being well prepared before going out into the bush is highly advisable, you are going on a fantastic trip and wish you all the best.

Louis

Africangetaway

loomis ca
Level Contributor
138 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sat phone and GPS for hire one way Kasane to Maun?

Dear Louis

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I know you are right, and now that we have had a chance to do more research, we understand both items are necessary for our peace of mind. Not the area to economize in. We have decided to hire a heavy duty 4x4 with winch etc as you suggested. Probably overkill, but once we got over the sticker shock, we feel it will be money well spent.

Thank you again for the helpful information and advice. This will be my 11th trip to the continent, 2nd time in Botswana and I am as excited as I was the very first time. Can't ever get enough!

Kathy

Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sat phone and GPS for hire one way Kasane to Maun?

I had exactly the same problem as you... long trip and not wanting to spend money on Satphone for Namibia portion. I checked out a number of places in Kasane, but no one wanted to rent me a phone one way only. So we went without one and fortunately were never in need of one. We could have used GPS since the Rooth maps are out-dated for the Chobe and Savuti area and not exact enough for Moremi. There were always many more tracks in reality than were on the map... very frustrating at times and we did get lost in the mopane forests and had to orient ourselves with the sun. Talk about getting back to basics. So GPS is a must next time.

A helpful gadet we took with us from CA was a $20 compressor and it came in handy when inflating tires after having driven through thick Savuti sand.

Also, I took a Coleman's camping toaster with me to make toast from not so fresh bread.

in addition, I am not a big fan of drinking plain water, so I took a bunch of Snapple ice-tea packets and we would fill 6-8 small water bottles with the powder every night to have as cold drinks during the 100+ degree weather.

I love safari self-drives but I also like to be reasonably comfortable.

Have a great trip.