We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

self drive tour through Botswana

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Topic
self drive tour through Botswana

We plan to take a rental car from South Africa to drive through Botswana, entering from Victoria Falls, and exiting into Namibia.

The rough plan includes Kazungula, Nata, Maun ( Chobe National Park ), Okvango Delta etc.

We would be trying to joing 4WD tours into Chobe, and Okavanga Delta, otherwise use our 2WD rental car for road driving.

Would anyone like to share their experience with such a trip, taken into account of the remoteness of some of these areas, in terms of safety and security.

We've been through South America with luggage stolen from car, and police strong arming for "fine" etc., is there anything comparable?

Is there anythign specific we should bring or not bring, other than the normal tourist things.

cheers

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: self drive tour through Botswana

There shouldn't be any problems. It isn't as remote as you think. Book an extra spare wheel for your hire car. Take normal precautions regarding the security of the car and yourself as you would anywhere else. Make sure your hire car is in a secure parking place when you go on day trips etc.

CA
Level Contributor
250 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: self drive tour through Botswana

Or you could rent a 4x4 and drive yourself. It takes more planning, but there are companies that can help you with itineraries. It's a great adventure doing your own safari and it is thrilling finding your own predators.

Check out Maun self-drive, explorebotswana.com, explorenamibia.com and others. They can make you an itinerary and make your reservations, but the actual game driving is done by YOU!

Botswana is very safe and people are helpful to tourists from my limited experience.

Good luck, it will be an an unforgettable experience either way you plan it.

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: self drive tour through Botswana

Hi Oz,

We are undertaking the same planning as you. We are looking at July 2014 for the Botswana part.

We are hiring a 4wd with camping gear. From my reading the only thing I am concerned about is booking campsites/lodges as it is the peak period we will be traveling.

As KaliCA said, some of the hire companies help with Itineraries which I will be seeking.

I've only just joined trip advisor and will be reading these forums a lot i think.

Thanks, enjoy!

CA
Level Contributor
250 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: self drive tour through Botswana

http://www.natron.net/autose.htm

If starting your trip in Windhoek, Namibia, check out the above site for a list of tour operators and car hire companies. I am currently doing business with zimba-adventure and I am very happy with their services. Their car rental price is excellent and they made reservations for a 38 day camping trip through Namibia, SA, and Botswana in September and October.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: self drive tour through Botswana

Hi Ozwanderer and MNS,

It's a great trip you're contemplating, and there's a heck of a lot of info on this forum.

The route you're taking is quite popular, and there are no big issues, but some tips might help (these are my own opinions, there will be others).

Kasungula and Kasane have become notorious for theft from vehicles (and btw, passports are highly sort after). Be ultra careful in these towns (and in Maun as well).

I would not cross the Zimbabwean border with a hired car. Leave it in a safe place in Kasungula or Kasane and use a shuttle service (Wild Horizons or Bushtracks or some of the private operators). The costs of the border crossing, the harassment by border officials and all their stooges, and the threat of police roadblocks for petty stuff en route from the border to Vic Falls does not warrant taking a vehicle across.

The Chobe and Savuti routing gets discussed often on this forum, and by scrolling through the numerous posts, you'll get lots of good ideas. It's a great trip, but in many ways is getting more and more challenging to self-drive. There are some good vehicle hire companies, but decisions of that nature should be taken with a view to your overall trip.

Good luck with your planning.

6. Re: self drive tour through Botswana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2015, 05:18