We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Fall River...
1 post
Save Topic
Bostwana lodges with great views

I'm planning to go to Botswana on safari in 2015, expecting to stay mostly in lodges on private reserves.

I really enjoy lodges where it's not uncommon for wildlife to be seen from the lodge. I was at Savuti camp a couple of years ago and this was a great feature.

Do you know of other Botswana camps where just sitting at the lodge can be like a game drive? Thanks!

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bostwana lodges with great views

Not so easy as wildlife tend to keep clear of areas where humans are. Also, many Lodges surround themselves with barriers or electric fences to dissuade wildlife from coming into the Lodge. I don't think there is any Lodge where you will get the same level of game viewing as you would on a game drive.

I would suggest some of the best lodges for viewing from your armchair would be those situated on the banks of rivers or lagoons, and which has raised accommodation.

In the Makgadikgadi you have both Meno A Kwena and Leroo La Tau which are situated on a cliff overlooking the bush and waterholes

Many Lodges also have access to hides - Kings Pool Camp, Chitabe Camp for example

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bostwana lodges with great views

We stayed at Tubu Tree (7 elephants browsing under our tent), Xigera (greeted by an elephant and hippos roaming camp when we arrived), Vumbura Plains (a large herd of elephants came to camp, little ones drank from our pool), Chitabe (birds and antelope in camp), and Savuti (elephants, hippo, snakes outside our tent). So I would say you can see animals from your armchair many places. These are all permenant camps......not lodges, however. There were stories each day of what had visited camp while we were out on drives, too.

The hide is gone from Chitabe BTW.

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Bostwana lodges with great views

You couldn't go past Ngoma Safari Lodge in Northern Chobe. Built high on the crest of a hill overlooking a flood plain on the edge of the Chobe River. A large waterhole is located on the floodplain, from where you can watch the daily trek of elephants, kudu, giraffe, waterbuck, sable etc coming down to drink. The sunsets over the River are incredibly, outstandingly magnificent, especially just after the sun sets. You will have "sundowners" by the river on your game drives or at the Lodge (we did both). Don't forget to take an outdoor shower while you watch the sunset and moon - wow!! The elevated setting of the bathroom within the lodge means you can also enjoy the sunset through the HUGE windows overlooking the River and floodplain.

San Diego
Level Contributor
110 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bostwana lodges with great views

I still need to do my trip review... but we stayed at Little Vumbura and had elephants munching around our tent. (#6) and Kudu eating off the tree shading our deck! We stayed at Duma Tau and could sit on our deck and watch elephants crossing the river. Came back to the tent one night to find an elephant eating from the tree off our deck. Hippos in the water too (noisy buggers!). Views at every camp were beautiful.

5. Re: Bostwana lodges with great views

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 05:16