We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interesting Article in the Telegraph

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Interesting Article in the Telegraph

An interesting article in the current Daily Telegraph, which also answers some questions raised in the Forum recently regarding the high cost of Botswana as a destination. The writer obviously got a freebie from Wilderness Safaris, so his list of the best 5 Safari Lodges has to be taken in context.

See: telegraph.co.uk/travel/safariandwildlifeholi…

Maun, Botswana
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Interesting Article in the Telegraph

Thank you for this, very interesting. Pity the writer didn't visit some of the more affordable camps and lodges that can be found in Botswana.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,374 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Interesting Article in the Telegraph

It's a tough life being a travel journalist for the Torygraph.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interesting Article in the Telegraph

It's a pity that he didn't include any of the Kwando camps on his visit because they are famous for the quality of their guiding, as well as the enormous amounts of wildlife seen on the game drives. One can see lions, cheetahs, and even leopards but wild dogs are really special and are most frequently seen at Kwando Lagoon Camp, and this year at Lebala Camp and Kwara and Little Kwara Camps.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,318 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interesting Article in the Telegraph

Pretty minimal information (or advertisement) for the price of a few days at Mombo. I'll write something much more flattering if they'll comp me. ;)

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interesting Article in the Telegraph

Are there 3-4 star lodges/camps in Botswana in the $300-$400 pppd range? Need to be in a good game area. Anything... or am i dreaming? Now that tsetse has been eradicated Bots def appeals.

london
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,374 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Interesting Article in the Telegraph

You need to ask an agent in Botswana about SADC rates. Most answers here will be from people paying international rates.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Interesting Article in the Telegraph

Ok then. Didn't know Bots lodges offered SADC rates. I'll check but assume there are lodges in the 300-400 zone as there is big demand.

Edited: 09 September 2014, 10:55
london
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,374 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Interesting Article in the Telegraph

I wouldn't assume anything. Botswana has pursued a low volume high cost strategy for tourism. Demand has nothing to do with it- they don't want to be a mass market destination, which is what would happen if low cost options were provided in response to "demand".

But some of the higher cost options might come within that price range on residents/SADC rates, I don't know as these rates are not usually advertised. I have mentioned SADC rates before on threads on the SA forum in which you've participated, so I'm surprised you haven't picked up on this. In most African countries, safari camps offer the lowest rates to their own residents, the highest to international visitors, but many also offer special rates to residents of other African countries, usually somewhere in between local resident rates and international rates. But these are rarely advertised.

london
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,374 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Interesting Article in the Telegraph

Also, if you book last minute (within 14 days) I'm aware that some camps will give Botswana resident's rates to anyone. So if you're in a position to book last minute and aren't too picky about your camps, that's also an option. Again, an agent in Botswana is the best person to talk to.

london
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,374 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Interesting Article in the Telegraph

"Didn't know Bots lodges offered SADC rates. "

See my post #13 on your thread-

tripadvisor.co.uk/…59501819