We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BugsAway Clothing

North Bergen, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
BugsAway Clothing

I am going to Bostwana next year. I have been shopping around for safari/cargo pants. Someone mentioned the new Bugsaway clothing from Exofficio. However, a pair of pants is a $100.00. This is a lot of money when there are 2 of us traveling. Has anyone tried them? Are they worth the money?

Thanks!

lovemytraveling

Botswanacraft
Gift & Speciality Shops
Motsana
Gift & Speciality Shops
Gabane Pottery
Gift & Speciality Shops
Somarelang Tikologo (Environment Watch Botswana)
Parks, Gift & Speciality Shops, Other Outdoor Activities
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: BugsAway Clothing

The Bugsaway cloting does work, but it is possible to have your own clothes treated. Go to Insectshield.com here: www.insectshield.com/basics/… .

They treat your clothes with permethrin and the treatment lasts through 70 washings, which would be the life of your clothes. We had this done when we went to Latvia several years back and treated our clothes, as well as my mother's clothes. We were in several mosquito-infested areas and did not get bit at all. We had socks, hats, shirts, pants, dresses treated. There is no odor and does not affect those with sensitive skin, as I have very sensitive skin and I had not problem. It costs about $10 per item, but the more you treat the less it costs. I can't vouch for how many washings it lasts through, since I haven't washed my clothes that much. It will not work on water proof items though. I had some questions a couple of times before I had it done and I called the company and they explained everything. We are going to Botswana next week and we just had all of our clothes treated, so we don't need to worry about deet and airline weight restrictions.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,349 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BugsAway Clothing

I've made two trips to Botswana and can't remember bring bothered by insects, including mossies or biting flies of any kind. In fact, other than some occasional spots in Tanzania where Tsetses were found and next to a lake in southern Tanzania where there were lots of mossies, I've had no problems throughout Southern and East Africa. I always take 2 or 3 pair of zip-off cargo pants for safaris, a couple of safari-type shirts and several tees. None of those clothes has been treated and I always look for price/value on safari-related items. I don't believe there's really a need to spend extra for treated clothes. At dusk/evenings be sure to spray a repellent on exposed skin, especially around ankles/legs as mossies that carry malaria tend to hunt low.

Edited: 24 August 2014, 13:49
North Bergen, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BugsAway Clothing

Thank you! This is great piece of information. I will look into this option. Enjoy your trip to Bostwana!

North Bergen, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BugsAway Clothing

Thank you! It's good to know that Botswana is not mosquito infected. You have been there twice? Lucky you! Can't wait for our trip next year. Thanks for the tip about the ankles/legs. No shorts for me.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: BugsAway Clothing

We will also be going to Uganda gorilla and chimpanzee tracking, so we definitely want the bug repellent protection. The mosquitoes in the u.s have been really bad this year, so it doesn't hurt to have it here either.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,349 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BugsAway Clothing

When buying repellent containing DEET, there's no reason to get anything with more than 30% DEET. Higher concentrations just last longer but you only need it on for the time you're out, whether it's a late game drive or dinner. I believe most directions will advise you to wash it off before going to bed.

For those who prefer to avoid DEET, there's a lemon eucalyptus product called Repel 94109 Lemon Eucalyptus Natural Insect Repellent. It's the American version of the popular-in-Europe Mosi-guard. It's available at Amazon. Both DEET and Repel products are equally effective.

Cornwall England
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BugsAway Clothing

We bought Craghoppers nosi life clothing. It has mossie protection but we also find it's excellent for quick washing as it dries really quickly. Nice style as well. We got all ours in 2011 in the sale and will be taking it next week on our fourth safari. C

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
890 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BugsAway Clothing

I would consider when you are travelling, in their winter ie June/ July there are few bugs anyway. We never even used our Deet this June! as Charlie says lightweight gear is best made by many manufacturers, eg.Craghoppers, Colombia, North Face all works well, not sure advantageous it is to be impreganted, but that's jus a personal view, main thing is to cover up exposed skin if bugs around.

9. Re: BugsAway Clothing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 18:35
10. Re: BugsAway Clothing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 March 2015, 02:05