We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hostile Ouaga

New York, NY
Level Contributor
20 posts
181 reviews
Save Topic
Hostile Ouaga

I just spent 3 days in Ouagadougou--3 long days. The city is ugly and has nothing rewarding for the average tourist. The art, music, or film scene is overrated ie non-existent. I took a taxi to the Place Georges Melies and the police came to harass the taxi driver and to shake me down for a bribe. The next time I was stopped next to a military post only to be able to run into the adjacent Air France office for safety. The city is spread out and dirty. The Cafe de Vienne, across from the former US embassy, is a true sanctuary.

14 replies to this topic
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hostile Ouaga

You must be joking, right? Ouaga is, depending on the time of year, either a disease-laden dustbowl or a muddy mosquito-filled s***hole. The museum is a joke, two or three huts "filled" with old crap nobody cares about in the middle of a wasteland on the outskirts of town and the market filled with cheap chinese goods and obnoxious vendors trying to sell it to you.

If you have the right amount of money, Ouaga is OK, but that doesn't come cheap. There are good restaurants and the hookers are relativelly cheap compared to the neighboring countries. But I would only travel there if I have to, not just for the fun of it. And I'm a BF national.

Killenaule...
Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hostile Ouaga

Yeh but u think the tandoori is wonderful,,.i never been toi such a kip of a town as ukunda and mthwapa and that stupid dangerous likoni ferry,.i been kenya during election periods and no one warns foreigners or tourist about the natives goingcrazy with pangas,,.then again you think the tandoori is a bar worth visiting,..,you must be getting paid for saying that,,,,,if you said Ushagos i would not mind,,,,,,we get our expectations of areas are set by writers and vidoes and brochures,,.so now i just got well pout off west africa,,.as well as kenya,.,.

Belgium
Level Contributor
27 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hostile Ouaga

Grrrrr (excusing myself to other Americans on here beforehand) but this yankee ignorance is pissing me off.

1 "Ouaga hasn't much to offer"....in what book did you read Ouaga was a 'tourist attrraction'. It ain't, it's an African city.

2 "Hostile Ouaga" you must be kidding me?? Did you ever step outside your back yard or not?

Ouaga is a pretty mellow place, not being a streetdumb nitwit, pretty easy-going to have some fun in.

3 But hey, please do follow your government's warning against about half the globe... Who'll care?

Sorry....

London, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Hostile Ouaga

I've lived in Burkina for 5 years and thoroughly enjoyed it. Be prepared for the experience of a lifetime :-)

Reply to: Hostile Ouaga
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ouagadougou
More Ouagadougou Topics