We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Change cash in Ouagadougou airport

Boston...
Level Contributor
4 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Change cash in Ouagadougou airport

Soon I will leave from Milan to a 20 days trip in Burkina Faso, Great!

My problem is that my plane will land at midnight in Ouagadougou, and from there I will have to take a taxi to the Hotel. I've read that euro are not frequently accepted, so I will have collect some CFA in advance to pay the taxi and the first night at the hotel. I guess that in the middle of the night money change will be closed so, what do you suggest me to do? Are there any ATM in the airport that allow me to take some money directly in CFA with a VISA card? Other ideas?

Thank you.

10 replies to this topic
Kuwait
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Change cash in Ouagadougou airport

Can you please advice what did you do as i am traveling this month to Ouagadougou.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Change cash in Ouagadougou airport

Hi Hannibal, I landed at night and it was impossible to find any official way to change some money..so I had to talk with some guys immediately outside the airport. They will come to you as soon as they recognise that you are a foreigner, and they will propose you an exchange. Pay attention because they might try to give you much less CFA then expected, and I don't know how is wise to debate with them, so it might be useful to agree on a certain amount before give them the money. In my case I changed only few euros in order to pay the taxy and the next day I went to a proper money-exchange. I'm sorry but I can't be more useful than this.

Czech
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Change cash in Ouagadougou airport

So there is no ATM on airport?!? I usually travel with no money and withdraw on airport, is that possible?

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Change cash in Ouagadougou airport

I don't think their's an ATM at the airport (maybe in 100 years?).

You can change money with most people hanging around the airport, but they will try to cheat you so be carefull and only hand over the cash after you've agreed and counted what they give you.

You can also take a taxi and ask him to drive to an ATM before taking you to the hotel. Not all ATMs take international credit/debit cards, though.

Or you can pay the taxi in Euros, but make sure you have EUR 5 bills with you (one should be enough for anywhere in Ouaga, although they will again try to overcharge you at the airport).

Edited: 17 December 2013, 21:31
Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
8,358 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Change cash in Ouagadougou airport

There is an ATM at the arrival side of the airport, but it spit out both the Master Card and the Amex Card. Therefore no cash at the airport!

Burlingame...
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Change cash in Ouagadougou airport

i will be there late at night and i have only us$ how would it be an exchange rate?

Boston...
Level Contributor
4 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Change cash in Ouagadougou airport

Try to find the ATM that la0wei was mentioning. Otherwise check the official exchange the day before. If the people that I was mentioning come to you outside the airport, just negotiate a while (It's Africa!) probably you will get a lower rate but if you change only enough for the night it shouldn't be a big loss. Then count the CFA in front of them, in my case they tried to cheat.

It's an unpleasant situation but if things didn't changed since two years ago there isn't much to do at night. Taxi and hotels may accept dollars, but I'm not sure and even if they do, they will probably charge you the double just for that.

Burlingame...
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Change cash in Ouagadougou airport

thanks for prompt respond if the exchange rate is double i may change few or try an ATM.

9. Re: Change cash in Ouagadougou airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2016, 06:02

Save Reply
10. Re: Change cash in Ouagadougou airport

You don't need to exchange any money on your arrival. You don't even have to discuss with the taxi driver, just tell the driver name of your hotel then when you get there, all you have to do is to tell the staff in charge at that night to discuss with the taxi driver and paid him/her off, then in the morning you balance back or you can then use your card to make withdrawal because we have ATM booths at almost all the hotels here in Ouagadougou. Thank you.

Edited: 11 August 2016, 15:47
Reply to: Change cash in Ouagadougou airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ouagadougou
More Ouagadougou Topics