We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

burundi entry visa and travel tips

Bujumbura, Burundi
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
burundi entry visa and travel tips

Burundi visa :Tourist or Business

Types : A one month visa , single-entry visa, a multiple-entry.

A transit visa is not required for passengers continuing their journey to a third country if staying up to 24 hours, provided holding valid onward documentation and not leaving the airport. If staying up to 72 hours, a visa is required.

Passengers arriving at Bujumbura airport from countries where Burundi does not have diplomatic representation can obtain visa on arrival providing they have previously informed their travel agency of their passport number, identity and flight details.

Some of Burundi Embassies are located in Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, and USA. Those who are continuing onto a third country within 72 hours may also obtain a visa upon arrival. It is better to obtain a visa in advance from the nearest Burundi embassy.

However, where possible it is advisable to obtain a visa before travel.

Language

The official languages are French and Kirundi which is a local language. Swahili and English are also spoken.

Banking hours

Monday-Friday : 0730-1200 and 1400-1730. Banks close between 12:00-14:00 for lunch break .But some of them offer a non-stop service at some places like markets.

Credit cards

Visa & MasterCard are accepted ; there is limited use in some major hotels. You can always draw cash in the bank with your credit cards.

Currency information

Burundi Franc (BIF) = 100 centimes. Notes are in denominations of BIF10, 000 ; 5,000 ; 2,000 ; 1,000 ; 500, 100, 50, 20 and 10. Coins are in denominations of BIF10, 5 and 1 but unavailable on market. Foreign currencies used are US Dollar & Euro.

Burundi business etiquette

Etiquette

Lightweight suits are necessary. April to October and December to January are the best times to visit.

Office hours

Mon-Fri 0730-1200 and 1400-1730.

Main exports

Coffee, tea, sugar, cotton and hides.

Main imports

Capital goods, petroleum products and foodstuffs.

Internet

Available in most of the hotels, many Internet cafes in Bujumbura, but few outside Bujumbura in other country provinces. Internet provider companies : Ucom, Onamob,Spidernet

Mobile telephone

Totally covered, some of the mobile phones companies : Leo, Africell, Econet Wireless, Onamob,Smart mobile. There is one landline companies Onatel which has a mobile branch Onamob (Onatel mobile)

Transport & Hotel

Airport transfers can be booked with your accommodation thru our agency.

Car hire with French/English speaking driver is necessary during your stay to avoid some unexpected costs since there is no fixed cost for taxi, and most of them don’t speak French or English .This might be helpful either for your tourist visit or business one .

You will learn a lot with the driver since he will be driving and being your guide at same time without an extra cost.

Hotel booking can be made thru our travel company for free. We get in touch with you and book a hotel according to your needs because we have a list of hotels to recommend !

We understand that traveler satisfaction is general country satisfaction and our dream is to help you travel and discover the beauty of Burundi .

This page will be regularly updated to enable you find accurate information with your travel plan .

For more information or suggestion ,contact us

20 replies to this topic
Trinidad and Tobago
Level Contributor
7 posts
1,091 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: burundi entry visa and travel tips

here is a question, I am a German national and want to spend a few days in Burundi, getting a visa from the Berlin embassy is a bit cumbersome and needs time, can i get on the plane, Ethiopian, drop into Buj Airport and get the visa right there? kindly adivce!

frank

bujumbura
10 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: burundi entry visa and travel tips

yes you will of course get it upon your arrival at Bujumbura airport

Edited: 14 February 2012, 07:16
Trinidad and Tobago
Level Contributor
7 posts
1,091 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: burundi entry visa and travel tips

ok, so no issue with the airline and no issue at the border check? that would be very good, thanks

Kuala Lumpur...
3 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: burundi entry visa and travel tips

Any idea if we need a Kenyan transit visa at JKIA Airport while waiting (about 20 hours) for our connecting flight to Buj? We have a group of Malaysian and New Zealand passport holders, thanks

Bangkok, Thailand
2 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: burundi entry visa and travel tips

is still u can obtain visa in Bujumbura airpoprt

Pune, India
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: burundi entry visa and travel tips

Actually i was planning to go to Bujumbura for Business. I noticed that all the embassy websites have CAUTIONED people to go to Bujumbura , Burundi due to threats of violence, terrorism, etc. Can you guys please help me and let me know if its safe going there ?

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
56 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: burundi entry visa and travel tips

My husband and I are living in Malawi on a volunteer mission (Jan 2013 through end of May 2013). We have Canadian passports. We plan to travel to Burundi April 19 through 23. Is it possible to obtain a VISA upon arrival at Bujumbura airport?

Potchefstroom...
1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: burundi entry visa and travel tips

Hi!

me and some of my friends are traveling to Kigoma, Tanzania via Bujumbura, Burundi. we need transport from the International Airport to the boarder post Mabanda! Can anyone please give me an indication on the cost (in US) to the boarder?

thanks

Hes

Calgary, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
19. Re: burundi entry visa and travel tips

my brother is going to travel 20 may and coming back on 20 june for one month , do you think he should go for one month visa as he is Canadian citizen .kindly give me quick answer please to assist him .

he can not take visa on arrival or not ?

waiting for your reply.

ramona

Ndola, Zambia
1 post
Save Reply
20. Re: burundi entry visa and travel tips

I am traveling to Burundi for a meeting from Ndola Zambia tomorrow , can i pay for a visa at the airport in Bujumbura?

Reply to: burundi entry visa and travel tips
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bujumbura