We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hospitals in Sal, Santa Maria

Southeast
1 post
hospitals in Sal, Santa Maria

Hi

I've recently booked a holiday to Cape Verde for August, but after reading some the comments it has put me off the place.

I will be travelling with two children and i am bit concerned, as it sounds as if they are not exactly ready for tourists. Can anyone tell me if there are any hospitals or private clinics etc there in case of an emergency and what standard are they. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Ilha do Sal, Santa Maria
Level Contributor
471 posts
112 reviews
1. Re: hospitals in Sal, Santa Maria

The facilities in Cape Verde are limited - it's a 3rd world country.

You don't mention which island you are going to. If it's Sal, there's a pharmacy and basic hospital on the island.

For more serious emergencies, Cabo Verde Express run an emergency air transport service using one of their planes, which will transfer you to Lisbon if need be. It obviously costs so you need to have good insurance.

I think Santiago has slightly better infrastructure but I don't specifically know what facilities are on the islands.

I imagine any other island will be more basic than Sal or Santiago.

Sal is the island that is most geared up for tourists but it is still very, very basic and there's no escaping that it's a developing country. You go primarily for the beach and reliable climate, all be it a windy one!

I'm happy to answer any other questions you have. . .

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Ilha do Sal, Santa Maria
Level Contributor
471 posts
112 reviews
2. Re: hospitals in Sal, Santa Maria

Me again - just re-read the title of your post and realised it's Sal you're going to!! Sorry!

scotland
Level Contributor
139 posts
102 reviews
3. Re: hospitals in Sal, Santa Maria

The main hospitals are in Praia and Mindelo but I think beyond that in an emergency you would possibly get airlifted to the Canaries.

4. Re: hospitals in Sal, Santa Maria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Cape Verde