We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of flights from Gatwick?

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of flights from Gatwick?

Hi all, we've got a friend who has bought a home on the island and we've been invited to use it for a free holiday. We've been looking at flights and they seem extremely expensive.

The cheapest on I've found for around the 1st April for 10 days is over 700 pounds each. A 10 day all inc holiday is only 1000 pounds each so surely flights must be cheaper than that?!?

I'm not sure which island the home is though - I'll ask them to let me know in a few minutes but is the normal price for flights around 700 or am I looking on the wrong websites??

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Rochdale, United...
Level Contributor
586 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of flights from Gatwick?

The high flight price is because you want to travel during the Easter Holidays. If you look at dates before or after Easter they are hundreds of pounds cheaper.

Santa Maria
Destination Expert
for Cape Verde
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of flights from Gatwick?

Also on First Choice & Thomson the prices tend to go up and down a lot. When we are looking at flying to the UK we check obsessively all day and pounce on a bargain! Sometimes as low as £110 one way. The price often goes down the closer you get to the date of travel but then can suddenly leap up a few days before! It's not easy & requires flexibility to get the best deal.

Also, since we have a lot of volunteers coming over we look at flights from other European destinations. For example JetAir fly from Brussels and can be as low as €99 which may be ok if you can get a low cost flight from the UK that hooks up with it and you don't mind the stopover (which can be overnight on the way back). JetAir is part of the TUI group, they also have lots of flights from Germany on TUI fly.

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of flights from Gatwick?

Thanks for the help, I know it's the Easter Holidays (I'm a teacher!!) but it was still surprising how expensive the flights were.

We're fairly flexible on the dates so I'll keep checking and if we see a flight for a good price then we'll get it. I doubt whether families will be looking at booking last minute flights so we might be able to pick up a bargain...

The property is on Sal so I'll have a look at things to do/see just in case we find a flight at the right price.

Thanks again.

Rochdale, United...
Level Contributor
586 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of flights from Gatwick?

Totally agree with Rashyroos comments ,we use the same system. I have not tried going via the continent yet but know others that have. Recently booked return flights from Manchester to Sal for a week at £337 for the pair of us.It helps of course if you can go at short notice. Last year i got flights even cheaper at this time of year but booked on Monday and flew Wednesday.

5. Re: Cost of flights from Gatwick?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2013, 10:23