We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to CAR

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Travel to CAR

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to go the CAR in March 09, and I would like to ask for some advice from those of you who have already been there (probably not many!)

1. Did you find Bangui safe (for African standards?). Bear in mind that I've been to more than 40 African countries, but never to CAR, so I always expect the worst when it comes to bribes, etc.!

2. Any good (i.e. safe and clean) hotel you would suggest in Bangui?

3. Any interesting day trips I could do once I'm there (e.g. is it safe/possible to visit the pygmies as a day trip?)

4. I'm also hoping to go from Bangui to Douala, and, as far as I know, only Cameroon airways fly that route. Are they still operating, and if so how can I book a flight with them? I understand it's not the most reliable airline, so if you know of a different airline that serves Bangui, please tell me!

Finally, if anyone is interested in a short break (5 days) in Bangui, feel free to join me!

Thanks for your help!

Chris

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Travel to CAR

I was in Kathmandu only last August! It's a lovely place, and much friendlier than anywhere in India...

Unfortunately, I won't have enough time at all during this trip for any volunteer work. I would like to have at least 1-2 months off work for that kind of thing, so may be in the near future..!

Thanks for my adding me as a friend on Facebook. I've just done the same.

Goodnight!

Chris

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Travel to CAR

Hi Chris, Hi Jennifer,

I keenly followed your thread. have you been to CAR by now?

Would you happen to know the best place to travel from when wanting to go to Bangui? I live in London.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys,

Timo

Long Island City...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Travel to CAR

Hi Timo,

You have to go through Paris for the most direct route to CAR, but I think that limits your options to Air France. Afriqiiyah also flies into there from their hub, but I forget what city this is in. I think you can also drive from Cameroon if you're very adventurous! Do not come in from the north, as there are armed rebels there.

Jennifer

New jersey
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Travel to CAR

Hi Guys,

I'm actually leaving for Bangui in a few hours from NYC. You can go to Bangui on Afriqiyah, but you would leave from Gatwick and connect in Tripoli. I will be there until the 6th and will check back to see if anyone replied.

Will

15. Re: Travel to CAR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Central African...