We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July in Ethiopia

London UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
July in Ethiopia

I am considering a 2 week holiday in Ethiopia in July which I believe is the rainy season. Is this really a time to be avoided? Is it any less wet in the north where I will probably be spending most of the time anyway? Any advice will be much appreciated.

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
3,962 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July in Ethiopia

1. yes it is less wet in the north.

One way of putting it is the rainy season is 3 months in Addis 2 in Tigre......

It can be depessing BUT equally you can get a few hours of sunshine some days.

If you are coming mainly to look at Historic things in the north - be preared for mud - bring boots/strong shoes 2 pairs - good quality umbrella and waterproof jacket(s)...

Good luck

Treviso, Italy
Level Contributor
399 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July in Ethiopia

Hello Traveler,

That is true it will be a wet month But, Have no worries it will not be obstacle to your visit to the north Part of Ethiopia. And Don't expect the rainy seasons in Europe, It is completely different,

Have a great and pleasant stay,

Cheers.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
149 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July in Ethiopia

I am considering the same trip in July and the responses were helpful. I don't mind rain when looking at historic sites. Does it mean i won't be able to hike at all? For example would i be able to hike above Lalibella for 2 hours?

What about between historic sites. I had originally planned to fly north maybe up to Bahar dar for example and then see Lalibella, Gondar, and Axum by road. Are these roads closed in july? Must i fly in between these?

What about the south? Are the roads open to lower Omo valley in July?

Thankyou

Treviso, Italy
Level Contributor
399 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July in Ethiopia

Dear Guleed,

Thank you,

And As I have said before, The rain will not be Obstacle to any of your visit in Ethiopia. And Of course you can Hick not only two Hours but more. And About the flight I recommend you to drive to Bahir Dar(You can make it with one Day if you find someone who can organize it for you, Because there are minibuses who drive with in one day but not the public Bus), and Gondar, But between Gonder and lalibela make it a flight, because the road is Under constriction and very Horrible road. (I had a very big complain on that road from my Clients, and I don't suggest to others.) And if you can also make your flight from Lalibela to Addis, Because there is no much things to see except the long drive(Two days drive). Sorry If I could know your program I could suggest you more.

And to the south it is the nice time to visit, Many ceremonies will be held on the diversified ethnics of the Region. And Remember that Don't try to drive with Public transport to this area, because will be hard to find and may be you will not be able to get it. Or try to arrange from Arbaminch which is the city for the beginning of the visit to the south.

Above all, THERE IS NO ROAD THAT WILL BE CLOSED. You need to fly because it is not the road will be closed but because of the qualities(Very Less Comfort) of the roads.

Fore more Details please feel free to contact me or my staff at ethio_advisor@tourinethiopia.com or here in the forum.

Blessed Day ahead,

Cheers.

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
3,962 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July in Ethiopia

As others have said.

1. no roads are closed - but going into Lalibela by road some would say is hard work wet or dry season.

Roads into Lalibela are gravel main roads - dusty in dry season. BUT if you want to see the scenery go that way. IF you have plenty time do it all by road....

BUt if your thing is splending a few days in each town with historical sites then flying saves time.

Addis to B Dar is a long 12 hour day by road BUT you see the Blue Nile Gorge.

2. The rain in wet season varies. Addis can have one day with hours of almost UK type drizzle, and the next day a real tropical downpour followed by a few hours of sun.

So hiking at Lalibela is possible....the locals do NOT hibernate for 3 months BUT depending on the type of rain you might get saturated, drizzled on or stay dry if you time tyour hike correctly....

Another way of putting all tghis is that the RAINY SEASON istotally predictable and reliable but how it behaves from day to day is more British and details are unpredictable...

3. Rainy season in far south - eg OMO - is NOT August but April and October so trips south no problem

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
149 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July in Ethiopia

Thankyou. Your information has lots of detail which is helpful. I will have more questions and i know where to find you.

7. Re: July in Ethiopia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 11:26