We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Simien Mountains

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Simien Mountains

Hi!

I'm organising a tour to Ethiopia, and I have some questions.

I'd like to travel to the Simien National park first.

Can anyone recommend any "trip-organiser" group there?

Or I just go there, and hire a guide and go on a 2-3-day-long trip?

And any hotels in the near?

How can I get there from the airport of Addis-Ababa?

sorry about lame questions!

thanks,

Áron

Dubai
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Simien Mountains

Hi,

I went to this place and it is really recommended once you are there. You can contact Birhan for all the details who i used. birhan_asmamaw@yahoo.com

www.simientrekguide.com

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
4,264 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Simien Mountains

get Bradt Guide to ethiopia 6th edition 2012.....

Fly Addis to Gondar - bus from there to Debarek

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,113 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Simien Mountains

The Simien mountains are spectacular!

We had a great guide, he's very professional and knowledgeable and also really good fun, he can organise everything for you. His name is Teshager and his website is:

www.treksimien.com

He's also on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TrekSimien

Kampala, Uganda
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Simien Mountains

Hi Aron,

I was about to share a commendation on the forums of our tour guide we just used 3 weeks ago and I saw your question.

My friend and I decided to find a tour organizer on site to try to save some funds. You just need a hour or 2 once you're there to make it happen.

We were referred to Israel Sahle at Icon Adventures. He was really the one that made our experience enjoyable. He helped arrange a 4 day/3 night trek for us at a reasonable cost including all food, tent/mattress, guide, scout, mules, mule man, cook, cook assistants. He detailed out the cost breakdown and even showed us his profit margin, which wasn't much. Comparing his quote to what other travelers we met there paid showed his price was one of the best. He really bent over backwards to ensure our time was memorable and worry free. He helped to find other travelers to share a vehicle with to and from the mountain in order to reduce the cost even further. He even helped arrange lodging on our return to Gondar and travels and lodging in Bahir Dar. You will not be disappointed using this company.

israel@iconadventures.com

+251 918 120 150

+251 921 576 850

www.iconadventures.com

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Simien Mountains

Thanks so much, thanks for the answers!

Genoa, Italy
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Simien Mountains

Hi, we also spent wonderful time with Teshager. Great guide, nice guy and he also speaks very good English.

7. Re: Simien Mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2017, 11:25
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Simien Mountains

I completed a 5 day trek through the Simiens in March 2013. Prior to departure I contacted several companies and decided to book through Meles Yemata at www.walksethiopia.com. His company offered competitive prices and I was sold on the fact that he invests some of the profits back into the community. Meles was absolutely wonderful - he was prompt in his email responses before arrival, flexible in the arrangements he made, connected me with a fabulous guide through the mountains and was in regular contact to make sure everything was going well. At every stage Meles went above and beyond, including putting me in contact with guides in Bahir Dar and Lalibela after I left the mountains. I cannot recommend this company more highly.

9. Re: Simien Mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 16:10
Whistler, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Simien Mountains

We went with an excellent guide, Birhan Asmamaw ( a local resident of Deberk ) of Simientrekguide.com, in March 2013, and had a wonderful trip ! We arranged the trip prior to our arrival, and everything went perfectly. Birhan took care of all the details for our 5 Day Simien Mountain Trek, and organized a great team, including a chef, scout , mules, assistants and all the infrastructure necessary, .including the driver ex Gondar roundtrip. Because we looked at the forums and different options before we left, it was helpful with our budgeting choices. We found this company competitive and Birhan most flexible regarding the hiking itinerary, before and during the trip. We would also like to recommend that Birhan's English was very good, which enhances your enjoyment considerably, and along with the stellar views of the E highlands, the unique flora and fauna ie Giant Lobelias, Gelada Baboons, and the exceptional food, prepared in hard conditions ie darkness, and camping style, this trek was a highlight of our lives experience.