We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want an independent guide to trek the Simien Mountains?

Kigali, Rwanda
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Want an independent guide to trek the Simien Mountains?

i always prefer using a local, independent guide because my tourist dollars stay with the local community. I was lucky enough to find Teshagar ("Tesh") Berihun Asfaw (business name is TrekSimien) to explore the Simiens and had the time of my life. I just returned last week.

The scenery is breathtaking...there is no doubt about that. But Tesh's coordination of the logistics and his thoughtful guiding made the trip. His communication skills are outstanding and his knowledge of the mountains, given that he was born there, was so helpful. Tesh assembled a great team for our small group, which meant that the transportation and food were terrific and I could simply enjoy the trek and the views.

Here's how to learn more about Tesh and TrekSimien if you're interested: treksimien.com or via FB (search on treksimien). You can also reach him via email at tesh05_2006@yahoo.com. He is always very prompt to respond unless he is trekking in the Simiens, which I consider a good excuse. :)

enjoy your trip! it is spectacular.

Yama Ethiopia Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours
Lalibela Local Tour
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
BD Backpacker Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Cultural Tours, City Tours
Boundless Ethiopia Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Multi-day Tours
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
11,521 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Want an independent guide to trek the Simien Mountains?

I also trekked with Teshagar and had a great time! I agree with everything you say about him, he's a great guide and the mountains are spectacular.

I often look at the beautiful photos on Tesh's website and daydream about my time trekking there :)

2. Re: Want an independent guide to trek the Simien Mountains?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 15:11
Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Want an independent guide to trek the Simien Mountains?

I'm planning to do a hike in the Simien mountains Oct/Nov 2014 and had originally thought of joining a group departure such as Exodus or World Expeditions as I'm female and not traveling with a companion.

I'm wondering though, does TrekSimien cater for single hikers? Does Tesh have group departures or the opportunity to hike solo with them? This then brings in safety issues... Particularly for my family back home. I climbed Mt Kilimanjaro solo in 2011 with a local Tanzanian company and it was an awesome experience, though I did research the company and guide very carefully first.

Any thoughts much appreciated. Cheers

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
11,521 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Want an independent guide to trek the Simien Mountains?

Lorna, Tesh guides both groups and individuals. If you contact him he may be able to hook you up with other people and you all trek together or take you on your own, whatever is your preference. If you tell him about your safety concerns being a lone female you can hear what he has to say and decide if he's the guide for you. I'm female and although I trekked in a group I would feel entirely comfortable trekking with Tesh on my own. You can PM me if you have any particular questions.

I think the best bet is just to contact him and see what you think when you've communicated. Obviously to enjoy the trek you have to be with a guide that you're comfortable with and that you trust.

Kigali, Rwanda
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Want an independent guide to trek the Simien Mountains?

Colin, sorry i'm just getting your message now. my trek was 3 days/2 night. the initial price for two of us was $650 USD (excluding tips). however, there was the opportunity to link with another couple wanting to do the same trek, so by including them (a total of 4 people), it was 500 for the two of us (or $250 each, excl. tip).

that said, tesh does all sorts of trip lengths, so you can certainly email him with your time frame and he can price it out for you. it was amazing...you'll love it!

let me know if you have other questions.

thx.

Kigali, Rwanda
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Want an independent guide to trek the Simien Mountains?

Lorna, of course, you have to determine what you're comfortable with, but i found tesh due to a TA review from a single, young woman who had trekked with him. At the time i was planning my trip, i was expecting to be trekking alone. It ended up that a friend went with me, but i had already found Tesh and heard that he was wonderful and trustworthy.

i was not disappointed. i would trust Tesh with my life. He is a gentle soul, smart and thoughtful. I felt TOTALLY safe with him and plan to go back to trek with him...probably solo.

another factor to consider...there are other hikers at the camps, so you are not alone at night (people are in other tents). i'm not sure if that makes you feel safer or not, but i thought it worth mentioning.

so, i wish you the best of luck finding someone with whom you feel safe and comfortable. the simiens are not to be missed, so special, and i know you'll enjoy them.

contact me if you have other questions. thx.

Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Want an independent guide to trek the Simien Mountains?

Thanks for your replies Kagali and Kali737. Personal recommendations go a long way.... and the whole safety aspect is more an issue with my husband and kids back home rather than me.

I found with past solo hikes that if you can establish a rapor with your guide before you even leave home then there is nothing to worry about. Solid research and preparation pays off. I found my Mt Kili guide and tour company through recommendations here on TA and followed up with messages back and forth from women ( and solo women) hikers who used him previously. One lady even rang for a chat which was lovely.

As the time gets nearer and i seriously start to plan this hike I may pm you both, hope you don't mind.

Cheers

Kigali, Rwanda
Level Contributor
6 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Want an independent guide to trek the Simien Mountains?

lorna...i'm happy to PM with you as you begin to plan your trip, if you would find that helpful. thx.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
11,521 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Want an independent guide to trek the Simien Mountains?

Me too Lorna, feel free to PM about Tesh, the Simiens or anything else about Ethiopia that you may have questions about.

Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Want an independent guide to trek the Simien Mountains?

Thanks girls. Will be in touch in a few months. Have a nice day.