We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much money per day?

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
How much money per day?

I understand that my hotel might not accept credit cards and that I should bring travelers checks and cash enough for my entire trip. Not counting hotel, how much should I budget for food and other thing? (Middle of the road traveler with middle of the road tastes.)

England
Level Contributor
25 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much money per day?

Dear Micheles In 2009 I changed £200 into local in Addis, toured for six days and brought a lot of it back to Addis, again not counting hotels. Apart from tours there will not be to much for you to spend it on.

Jim

Addis Ababa...
Destination Expert
for Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much money per day?

Need more info to answer this.

How long is your trip

Where are u going

What hotel price are u paying eg 20 dollars a day or 200 a day :::::

For meals you wil need say 250 birr a day. Less outside addis

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much money per day?

For what it's worth, I'm home from my trip and averaged $50 USD a day which included hotels, food, a handful of museums, transportation (some days we took minibuses or taxis, some days everyone in the group chipped in and hired a van), a visit to a local clinic when I was unable to kick traveler's diarrhea with the medicine I brought with me, plus gifts we brought home.

We spent one week in Addis and one week in Mekelle and found things very affordable.

I split a hotel room with another member in our party.

I took travelers checks and cash and found the cash much easier to change to birr.

Edited: 21 March 2011, 01:16
4. Re: How much money per day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 20:18