We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bumsters and cost of meals drinks etc, where to stay

Suffolk, England
Level Contributor
34 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Bumsters and cost of meals drinks etc, where to stay

Hi,

I'm considering a holiday in November to Gambia and have been doing a bit of research, first time in africa!

I must admit I'm a bit concerned about the issue of bumsters, more because I'm travelling with my husband who has a short fuse when it comes to that kind of thing.

I've travelled in India before and you get a bit of it there but what I've read seems more extreme and more persistant. Any tips or advice.

Is there an area with less of this problem.

Any suggestions for a great value for money clean hotel, near restaurants and bars?

Also how expensive are meals out, drinks etc?

Thanks in advance

NORLAND, UK
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bumsters and cost of meals drinks etc, where to stay

hi and welcome. Bumsters - right it depends who you listen to, I've heard that it's less of a problem than in India, also that it's more of a problem. I suppose it all depends on what you consider to be a problem and what you are used to - it really is down to the individual as to whether you find them a problem or not. A firm 'no thank you' does tend to work and for the vast majority of them. Have a look thru here for other people opinions of them. However, they are widespread and there isn't one area with less of them than any other.

Right - area, IMO there are 3 main areas (forget Banjul, it's too far away from everything), Cape Point, quiet area with a handful of restaurants, Kotu, slightly busier with more restaurants and finally Senegambia with dozens of bars/restaurants and a couple of night clubs (but still quiet and relaxed if that's what you want). No-where is like the Med! and busy would be relatively dead in the med!. Can't comment on hotels as don't use them also it depends on if you just want somewhere to sleep or have higher expectations of the hotel. If you look on left hand side of this page there is a 'hotels in the Gambia' link with reviews of the hotels out there. These will give you a better idea of what is on offer.

If you look at the post 'First Timers information' a page or 2 back there are links of what to do and prices etc on it.

Hope this helps a little, any more questions please feel free to ask...

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,507 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bumsters and cost of meals drinks etc, where to stay

hi and welcome to the gambia forum

agree with what kerrofsabal as just said,

as for hotels, if you want a basic hotel, clean in a great position for the strip, (main area for bars and restaurants) I personally would opt for either Sarges or Holiday Beach club, usually in the Gambia, we dont spend a lot of time in the hotel, as we like to go out and about,

Anything else you wish to know please ask, plenty of people that can help you on here

ipswich
Level Contributor
798 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bumsters and cost of meals drinks etc, where to stay

I 3rd that...... i dont have any problems with bumsters, if you talking with them be firm not say maybe as that means yes to them!! Lots of tourist police on beachs and tourist areas.

The best place for value is African Village for me, stayed a couple of times there. Thats in Bakau so a little way from Senegambia but easy travelling distance. The staff are really friendly, very clean, nice pool and the food is lovely too (good for price too).

Meals and drinks arent too badly priced, if you want cheap african food i go outside the tourist areas and buy food from the local stands and places in serrekunda. Senegambia there are couple of nice resturants my favourite by far is GTS.

Birmingham UK
Level Contributor
804 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bumsters and cost of meals drinks etc, where to stay

Don't know if you have been to Tunisia, but if you have and have been round the souks,then you will know what hassle really is. At least the bumsters in Gambia dont physically grab you (well not in my experience) and they remain friendly even when you firmly refuse their offers of help. They may be a bit overwhelming at first but you will soon get used to them. Personally I found Tunisia,where I have been 4 or 5 times, to be much more intimidating.

As for hotels then there is a wide choice for every pocket. Haven't stayed in one myself for a few years but I did stay at the Bakotu in 2006 - and that was basic but clean, the staff were friendly, breakfast was limited, but you could pay extra for cooked breakfast if that's what you wanted. It's in Kotu which is fairly well located for getting out and about and it has a lovely beach.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
135 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bumsters and cost of meals drinks etc, where to stay

Hi...

If your husband's not too happy about being approached by bumsters, you could consider a hotel in the Bijilo area...though this is a little further down the coast than most of the other resorts. The cost of the hotels may be a bit more expensive, but the beach area is so much quieter, and you would be only a short (inexpensive!) taxi ride from the Senegambia Strip. We stayed at the Golden Beach in Jan this year and it cost just short of £500 for 2 weeks B&B...check out the hotels on TA,... all the best and good luck!

North Wales
Level Contributor
264 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bumsters and cost of meals drinks etc, where to stay

Have a look at the Sunset Beach hotel in Kotu. I promise you will not be disappointed. We have stayed there twice. Well run and spotless.Superb breakfast. Good location right on the beach, a few eating places and bars to choose and less tacky than the Senegambia Strip.

We have also stayed at the Senegambia Hotel on the strip and although it's bigger and more expensive it wasn't as good in our opinion. Beware some of the cheaper hotels are quite scruffy .

7. Re: Bumsters and cost of meals drinks etc, where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 October 2010, 22:58
Suffolk, England
Level Contributor
34 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bumsters and cost of meals drinks etc, where to stay

Thank you all so much for your advice and feedback, it is very much appreciated.

Not so concerned now re: bumsters!

Lots to consider. Still trawling through the forum!

Thanks again

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,507 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bumsters and cost of meals drinks etc, where to stay

BR66, that in my opinion is the best way to do it, read as much as you can, then you can make an informed decission, my hubby lets it get to him sometimes, even after all our many visits, my answer is you walk on say nothing, and if theres anything to say I do it, if not we both just walk together, no problem

I wouldnt stop to talk to a big issue seller here, so think of them as the same, and carry on regardless

have to say they are very friendly though,

Kiffa, Mauritania
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Bumsters and cost of meals drinks etc, where to stay

I might well stop for a chat with a big issue seller and maybe hand out a few pounds if I’m feeling flush. I wouldn’t however buy him a taxi or spend two weeks with him showing me around and joining me for breakfast, lunch and dinner…

Get answers to your questions about Gambia