We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yellow fever

bristol uk
Level Contributor
843 posts
Save Topic
yellow fever

I have a friend who is off to Gambia from London in Nov,and has been told that you now need a yellow fever jab before entering,as told by his doctor.Is this true,has anyone enterred the country in the last few days and had to go thru this process.

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,512 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: yellow fever

we have been many, many times, no yellow fever jab, so would say no its not true

Ilminster, United...
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
5,813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: yellow fever

Hi

It depends where you are entering Gambia from Yellow fever jabs are no longer mandatory as there hasnt been a case for many years Gambia is now on the WHO recommended list This means you dont need a jab/certificate if you are entering Gambia from a country where there is no Yellow Fever i.e.UK, Europe but if for example you wanted to enter from Guinea where there are frequent outbreaks you would need a certificate rgds

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,475 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: yellow fever

G.P's always insistant you have one, we had them few years back and 16yr old having one for 1st trip on basis she may need it for another country in future not for risk. 72yr old ma coming too but she's not having one due to more complications with vaccination in over 60's. Seems to boil down to personal choice, if they can afford it (£60 each) and will not cause probs to health nothing to lose.

London
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: yellow fever

Does anyone know how long is yellow fever jab valid for?

Going Gambia first time in few weeks, wouldn't mind avoiding extra cost if not necessary.

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
599 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: yellow fever

Yellow fever vaccination is good for 10 years. I am travelling to The Gambia for the very first time in Feb 2010 and I will take the vaccination.

Better save than sorry ;)

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,512 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: yellow fever

this is our 9th trip there this christmas, never had the yellow fever jab

hertfordshire
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: yellow fever

We are going to the Gambia at the beginning of March. Our doctors surgery said that we had to have yellow fever but i argued that it wasn't mandatory if coming from the UK. We have had all the other innoculations and are in the process of having the three Hep B but can remember having yellow fever injection as a child and it wasn't pleasant.

8. Re: yellow fever

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2010, 05:16