We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it quiet there at the moment?

London
Level Contributor
289 posts
Save Topic
Is it quiet there at the moment?

Hi everyone

We are off to The Gambia next Friday. Is is quiet there at the moment? I know it is the end of the season so won't be busy but just wanted to know how quiet it is...especially now the bumsters are gone.

Are the frut ladies still selling fruit on the beach and the guys selling the football T shirts as not sure if there has been any impact on them?

Finally....is the weather getting warmer in the evenings now?

Thanks for your help

Sugarsnap girl

NORLAND, UK
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it quiet there at the moment?

Hiya, we came home on friday and it was VERY quiet. Partly due to the problems with flights but also due to the lack of sellers. There are no t-shirt guys/towel sellers/fruit girls wandering around. The only place to buy fruit on the beach is from the registered stalls by Kunte Kinteh beach bar and Kotu craft market etc... even these ladies are not supposed to walk up and down the beach - you are supposed to go to them. IMO it's too quiet without all the locals around.

It was definitely warming up for the last couple of nights we were there. Have a great time and will look forward to hearing how you view the 'new improved??? bumster free Gambia'.....

Newcastle
Level Contributor
307 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it quiet there at the moment?

I returned from Gambia yesterday and it is very, very quiet. We stayed in the Cape Point area and the restaurants were virtually empty at night, though this may have been because the airlines had put folks impacted by the "volcanic delays" on halfboard.

There are very few tourists about, with the exception of Kololi area. Over the last week it seemed to get hotter during the day, but still a cooling breeze at night.

There are definitely no bumsters. Have a great time.

Brufut, Gambia
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it quiet there at the moment?

Ye it's quiet. Even the normally busy Yasmina's looks like its summer season already. Jade Chinese is closing this Friday, they were only having a handful of customers. Quite a few places will remain open through the summer, though

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it quiet there at the moment?

That's good to know Del!!!

Brufut, Gambia
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it quiet there at the moment?

And there's always the Courtyard in Brufut. Must write a review of their Sunday lunches

London
Level Contributor
289 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it quiet there at the moment?

Hi thanks everyone thanks for your reports. Do you know if the main restaurants are open on the strip - i.e JoJo's, Scala, Indian and Mandarin. Cant wait to come out now. Will seem strange without the bumsters. They never really bothered me so it will be interesting to see what it is like without them.

NORLAND, UK
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it quiet there at the moment?

Only one of your list I can confirm is Scala - they are closing 1st June to 1st October so they will be open. Can certainly recommend the chateaubriand there....yum yum

Brufut, Gambia
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it quiet there at the moment?

Most of the restaruants are still open, and Mandarin stays open all summer. Paradiso last night was moderately busy.

NORLAND, UK
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it quiet there at the moment?

Paradisio is usually the busiest one around and in our last week (when everywhere was deserted) it was still the busiest but it's the only time I've ever seen empty tables there. Usually people are queueing up inside for them.

bedfordshire
Level Contributor
456 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it quiet there at the moment?

i was there a few weeks ago and thinking of a return trip in july basically to sort out my new house but i did ask the jewel of india if they would be open and they said they would be open all year do let me know please after your stay. have a great time