We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

updates from resort

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,507 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
updates from resort

so anyone back yet with latest from resort????

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5,423 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: updates from resort

King of The Gambia.. ??

…scotsman.com/world/Gambia39s-president-aims…

Torfaen
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: updates from resort

Got back yesterday Sunny, but I never really know what to write regards a report. As you ask though here's a few points as they spring to mind:

The weather for 10 days was glorious, not a drop of rain. Surprisingly few mosquitoes too though as usual I still got bitten most days. (never at night though which was a bonus)

The rate in resort held at around D46 to the £, despite predictions it would fall.

The fishing was the most disappointing I have ever experienced, so I gave up half way through the holiday and just relaxed, drinking too many afternoon Julbrews!

I stayed at Avalon Garden Lodge (Senegambia) - very pleased with the choice and the owners Paul, Stewart, Wendy and Carole were most friendly, eager to help, and good company when you just fancied having a chat. Booked there again for my next trip over Xmas.

Only ate out three times - once at Chosan (ate Africen Fried rice - nice but pricey for what it was), and twice at Paradiso - Pizza both times and a great choice. Paradiso was very busy every evening - 95% full each time I visited

The flight out on 29th Oct was full, but coming back yesterday there were just 74 passengers and 200 empty seats! I guess most people are still enjoying the rest of their 2 week holiday out there where as I was coming home after 10 days.

While I was there my old friend (70yr old ex-pat) was admitted to hospital (Afrimed) with the worst type of malaria - still hoping to hear good news but he was very poorly when I last visited yesterday afternoon.

Overall, a few personal low points on the holiday ( fishing and health matters of my friend) but the place is very much in my blood nowadays and I made even more good friends (black and white) that I will make time to see again next visit. I just love the place, can't imagine a time in my life when The Gambia will not be an important part of my reason for living!

Haydn

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,507 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: updates from resort

Hi welcome back, thanks for the report,

so sad about your friend, hope you hear good news

Chossans I personally think is over rated and over priced,

Sorry the fishing wasent up to scratch, better luck at xmas, thats your next trip I believe,

you are well and truly bitten with the Gambia

thanks again

Southampton
Level Contributor
659 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: updates from resort

We've used Chosaan for years in the daytime and noticed price hikes in the drinks last year. After their "Happy 8, (maybe 9), hours" beers were D50 for example. Food is usually good - a massive choice but a full evening spent there can cost more than a 3 course at Mandarin Chinese!

It is Gambian run however.

J

5. Re: updates from resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 November 2010, 10:05
lincoln
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: updates from resort

hi sunny just got back midnight last night so still a bit tired will give a full report later , as good as ever and the strange thing now is the money change in the hotel is competing with them outside so it could be bad news for barrys all in all the food was as good as ever and the weather ??? TAKE ME BACK PPPPPPPPPPPPPPLLLLLLEEEEEAAAASSSSSSE.wind and rain will never compete with the gambian sun. catch ya later zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,507 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: updates from resort

welcome back stevie, turn heating up, get laptop out and search for last min deals

look forward to report later

Brian_723
Level Contributor
356 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: updates from resort

any updates on the falling rate please .

scotland
Level Contributor
5,759 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: updates from resort

I reall y have to agree on the Chossan comments ,over time as it got busier and more popular the prices rose, I only use it in the afternoon now for a light snack n malta

The COMEINN near palma rima junction on Kololi highway I find better and more comfy :)

Banjul + Brighton
Level Contributor
201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: updates from resort

'The fishing was the most disappointing I have ever experienced..'

Haydn sorry the fishing was not so good..It may have something to do with all the massive offshore integrated fishing vessels (essentially fish sea stripper factory ships) who are harvesting everything. Also the Gambia needs to invest in some sort of Navy..I have never seen a navy patrol boat..

Does TG have a Navy as such anyone?

N'dank N'dank

Dawda