We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Department for International Development cuts Gambia Aid

Southampton
Level Contributor
659 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Department for International Development cuts Gambia Aid

See:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12606665

J

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Department for International Development cuts Gambia Aid

hi,i must admit that when i went to gambia i was amazed at how many charities there were there...

uk
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Department for International Development cuts Gambia Aid

they should add india and nigeria to the list

india is an emerging economy and is growing fast and nigeria is oil rich so they shouldnt be getting aid

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Department for International Development cuts Gambia Aid

true,but we all know about back handers i'm sure!!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5,417 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Department for International Development cuts Gambia Aid

I'm not saying a Word....!!!!

Which say's it All..

Kololi, Gambia
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Department for International Development cuts Gambia Aid

@Christian091 there are lots of small charities working in Gambia. The majority like us are very small groups working without any govt. funding.

We had a look at DFID to see if we could get some financial help and were referred to the Comic Relief site which works with the govt for small and diaspora groups. It was a nightmare trying to wade through the preliminary application form and in the end we had to give up. With Gambia being withdrawn from the list of eligible countries by DFID I dare say Comic Relief will follow suit.

Fortunately many visitors to Gambia appreciate the problems and do a lot to help.

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Department for International Development cuts Gambia Aid

Agreed FirstAid4 Gambia. I've seen first hand the great work you and others like you are doing. Well done and thank you.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Department for International Development cuts Gambia Aid

seconded scudder.

Brian_723
Level Contributor
356 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Department for International Development cuts Gambia Aid

some countries on the list quite rightfully have aid cut ,Indonessia and russia for sure ,gambia i would of thought deseved it espaicly with links to the past .

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Department for International Development cuts Gambia Aid

hello firstaid4gambia,.....i'm sure you,as well as other charities are doing a good job with good intentions....having been in the gambia for a short while,but still,having checked out the places quite well...i must say that although the gambia is a poor country,it is in no way at all like a country like india..>.wow,that is real poverty,yet the indian people do not like charities that come over to try and help...because they have their own pride and can look after themselves quite happily...just because to us wealthy westerners they look poor,,doesn't mean they are unhappy...this is an actual fact...

i'm sure that all countries in the world at some level need all the help that they can get in some peoples eyes....but the people need to be self sufficient as well....and charities can become a crutch,rather than a motivator,etc.....please don't take what i'm saying negatively,it's just that we need to be reasonable regarding looking at these things,etc.....health charities(like i assume yours to be are excellent and well needed)....let's help the gambian people ,then let them help themselves...and if they can't...well then that's not for us to control...but their own countries people and governments...because we have to all realise that gambia is for the people of gambia....and that it is up to them to improve when they want to,and not for us to force.

Kololi, Gambia
Level Contributor
259 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Department for International Development cuts Gambia Aid

I agree with your comments Christian that "charity" can sometimes create a dependency culture which is why we work to assist by training the necessary skills to promote self sufficiency. Sometimes people just need a leg up and a bit of guidance in the right direction.