We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

22 sleeps until Ocean Bay

leeds, england
Level Contributor
526 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
22 sleeps until Ocean Bay

Hi All,

Only 22 sleeps now until our first visit to TG. Am feeling excited but also a little nervous as well - especially re bumsters!!!!

Have done lots of research on what to expect but any top tips would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Janice :):)

Tanji, Gambia
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 22 sleeps until Ocean Bay

Don't tell anyone it is your first time to The Gambia! They will all want to be your friends. Give them the names of Fansu and myself in Cape Point they nearly all know us and will treat you well!

Mentioned in this post
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
Cape Point Hotel
Cape Point Hotel
59 Reviews
Bakau, Gambia
Dorset
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 22 sleeps until Ocean Bay

Good tip Sandy :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
317 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 22 sleeps until Ocean Bay

Sandy is correct, we made that mistake in March when we stayed in Senegambia and don't mention football!

We stayed in the Ocean Bay for the last 2 weeks of November, you will not be dissappointed!!

I will send you a PM with a couple of do's and don't's

Julie

Mentioned in this post
Senegambia Beach Hotel
Senegambia Beach Hotel
1,359 Reviews
Serekunda, Gambia
Ocean Bay Hotel & Resort
Ocean Bay Hotel & Resort
996 Reviews
Bakau, Gambia
Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 22 sleeps until Ocean Bay

Just counted and it's 42 sleeps for us... Seems a long way away yet!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
359 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 22 sleeps until Ocean Bay

Troutie

The main area to watch out for bumsters around Cape Point is when you walk up to Bakau. There are a couple of them hang about next to where the local yellow taxi's park and the bush taxi's turn as you approach the Right Choice supermarket. Also a bit further along the road near the T junction at the African Village Hotel as you approach Kunta's Bar. They aren't the brightest bumsters in the world. They'll try it on with the "Hi I'm kebu from your hotel" and if you reply "which hotel?" they'll have a guess and when they get it wrong they'll sheepishly walk away. If any are more persistent just tell them you are in a hurry to meet your gambian friend, and they'll know you aren't looking for another one.

Ian

Mentioned in this post
Cape Point Hotel
Cape Point Hotel
59 Reviews
Bakau, Gambia
Bakau
Bakau
Banjul Division, Gambia
African Village Hotel
African Village Hotel
122 Reviews
Bakau, Gambia
England, United...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 22 sleeps until Ocean Bay

We went in 2009 and are going again this year. As far as I remember hassle from beach bums was minimal, but you do get a lot round the taxis. We made friends with one and got all our taxi rides from him at a reasonable price.

Tanji, Gambia
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 22 sleeps until Ocean Bay

Another problem in Bakau is a guy that hangs round at the end of the market on the way into Bakau. Says he is a headteacher of a school on the corner and will promptly get a load of kids in to sing to you if you show interest. he then gets his book out for donations, obviously everyone else has given him hundreds if not thousands of dalasis and will try and get you to donate too. This a big scam, everyone knows him there is no real school there and he has a very big compound with a decent house inside Bakau, please don't fall for that, just tell him you help other schools whether you do or not and walk on. I talked to him one day and he said that tourists are so mean sometimes they only give him 500 dalasis!! Had a bit of a "discussion" with him and found him to be a truly obnoxious individual.

Mentioned in this post
Bakau
Bakau
Banjul Division, Gambia
Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 22 sleeps until Ocean Bay

Sandy,

This is how our guide lost his job on our first visit to the Gambia. I didn't know this forum existed at the time and had only read hotel reviews so had limited knowledge of what goes on.

On the evening of our arrival one of the security men at our hotel befriended us and offered to take us on a visit to the crocodile pool, he also said he could take us to a "school" if we wanted. I'm afraid I was a bit green and thought great we'll do it!

Off we went the next morning to our welcome meeting and when we left it we were approached by one of the official tour guides who very kindly took my broken bag off me to have it mended. He obviously then offered his services.

Later that day we went off for our trip to the crocodiles with the chap from the hotel. On the way back we went to the school which was no more than a shack where we were treated to singing and abc etc by the children.

Whilst there we were shown "the book" and my now husband was asked to pledge money. He did (£18) for a new desk. We explained that we had no money on us and that we would return with it. We were told that we couldn't do that and one of the teachers would accompany us to the hotel for it!

This was starting to make me feel uneasy and on the walk back to the hotel our new guide came along on his bike. One look at who we were with and he knew exactly what had happened. The first words out of his mouth were "please tell me you haven't given any money". We said we hadn't (which was sort of true!).

He explained that there was no school and that the security guard would split any money with the "head teacher". There followed a huge row in the street which to be honest didn't scare me but made me very angry. I ended up in-between the pair of them shouting that they weren't going to ruin my holiday!!

Anyway when we got back to the hotel I told the security chap that we wouldn't be donating any money and neither would we be giving him anything for taking us out.

The next day I was greeted by frosty looks and trumps from the official guides when I went to find our new friend and was told by them that he had been sacked.

Another row followed with the head of security! After which I was told he would reinstate him but only for the duration of our stay.

Later that day we were called back to our room by reception to find the entire contents of our safe laid out on our bed. We were told that the cleaner had found our safe open and that we must have left it that way (I have never ever left a hotel room without checking the safe is locked! Nothing was missing but it was uncomfortable, especially as the security guard involved was in the room with us!

I am pleased to say that our guide hasn't held it against us and we still see a lot of him when we're there.

Sorry to have dragged on and I hope this doesn't get deleted as it is travel related and a bit of a warning to first time visitors like we were.

Mentioned in this post
Gambia
Gambia
Africa
Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 22 sleeps until Ocean Bay

I've just seen my typo..... Was going to edit it but not going to bother as it's much more entertaining to leave it in!

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 22 sleeps until Ocean Bay

so were the 'official guides' veggies? it happens :)

Edited: 07 January 2012, 19:26