We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bumsters!

canterbury
Level Contributor
771 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
bumsters!

when we first came to the gambia we had heard all sorts of terrible things about people hassling you. we had booked a week at the ocean bay, on the day of our arrival in the evening we ventured along the beach and found a small local beach bar where we had a beer, on our way home along the shore, it was dark and we were fairly apprehensive, about half a mile from the hotel, we saw someone following us, ever so slightly we increased our pace, eventually the figure started running,

it was the waiter from the beach bar, we had forgotten to pay.

i thought i relate that story as i have been asked by people wanting to book and are worried about the bumsters. from my limited experience having only ever been to the cape and in the last couple of years the strip, we found the cape to be the harder of the two, mind you even there one them gave me a beaded necklace when he realised i wasnt falling for his spiel.

at its worst i guess they are like chuggers and if you are even a bit like me (note my pic, thats me on a bad morning) and can bear to tell them where to get, i would be more worried to going to places like mexico where i have this fantasy of banditos kidnapping us and demanding ransom.

and i know this topic has been raised before and i also know that im treading on well-worn ground.

you need have a bit of common sense but people are really friendly and generally it is no more dangerous than many london boroughs.

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: bumsters!

Of course Northy but well I am quite a tacticle person too as it makes sense you know!!! Try not to give them an advantage you can see them but they cannot see you!!

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: bumsters!

Sorry the word is tactical!! Don't know where the other spelling came from!! Brain not in gear tonight I think!!

Bakau, Gambia
Level Contributor
3,319 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: bumsters!

Blue 07 No one is trying to put people of Gambia far from it,But the bumsters can be a pain in the Bum '' If you new to gambia,and your not a strong person,Some people will feel intimadated Being Approached By an African male who no matter what you do will not stop following you ,trying to talk to you,insisting he is the guy who will look after you Bla Bla Bla,

Not everyone has the bottle to tell them to ------ of like myself and others,some people do get frightend,

And its for this reason they should be stopped ,And for the ones who say Well they are only after the price of a meal ,Sorry my girlfriends 2 brothers can't get work along with lots of other young guts .They dont spend their days Hassling tourists

And before you repeat ''You want to get out and see a bit of the world''

believe you me i'v seen a lot of it And Gambias Bumsters are up in the top 5 when it comes to beggars/bumsters or whatever you want to call them.

Gambia is a Fantastic country for people to vsit,it may be the only bitt of Africa they will ever visit,its a shame that 50% will never return due to the actions of a few.Because they go away thinking allGambians are the same.And as we know they are not.

A young english couple i met were frightend of comeing out of the hotel after their first night in Gambia Why do i have to explain ?They won't ever come back..

Ascot
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: bumsters!

Spot on Jeff, I've had a few people I met there saying they'd never go back. One really trusting friendly guy had fallen for the wedding scam three times !!!

Bakau, Gambia
Level Contributor
3,319 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: bumsters!

Paul ascot. Yes it's a shame that they do put people off ,Iv spoke to people that have never been to Gambia that know about the dumpsters, Iv had them as early as 7.00in the blo...dy morning giveing me pain.I was being picked up early for a fishing trip and went to get a bit of extra cash out of the ATM .the one at the bottom of the strip.and would this Herbert leave me alone would he he'll.he was trying to look over my shoulder to see what money came out I'd asked him lots and lots of times to go away .And when I slipped and my elbow finished up in his face ! An accident I swear he got the message .you don't need that crap sorry.

Northallerton
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: bumsters!

Jeff so glad you said all that about these people. " only looking for a price of a meal ". What a pile of cr.p. These are professinal con men. Glad someones on my wave length !

canterbury
Level Contributor
771 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: bumsters!

Bankrupt, if you book into the kairaba for instance the grounds are extensive you need never leave, 3 restaurants 1 sports bar, the beach has security guards, in fact we met a couple who did exactly that.

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
4,487 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: bumsters!

I'll never stop saying it ; If you wouldn't do it at home DON'T do it while on holiday.

If you are prepared to give your money to total strangers then please send me your email address so I can tell you my really sad story about my life. I have a few coconuts to sell so it is not really begging and I haven't had any breakfast.

In TG you don't get annoying text messages or phone calls for pay day or PPI claims or door to door salesmen collecting for charity or selling double glazing and so on ....... bumsters in disguise.

Edited: 19 July 2012, 08:25
scotland
Level Contributor
5,827 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: bumsters!

Breezy and Paul,a good set of reactolite glasses ,Deep pockets and very very dry Hands

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: bumsters!

Bruff I wear prescription sun glasses (the darkest as I am not a driver) so they stay dark indoors as well, which is great when we cut through the craft market as when approached by the various sellers I can say to them without any lies "Oh I am so sorry but I cannot come into your shop today as I don't have my regular glasses with me" and your shop is too dark for me to go in with sunglasses on!! "Why yes of course I could take these sun glasses of but I am blind as a bat and cannot see a thing!!!

A win, win situation it's been for me.

Get answers to your questions about Gambia