We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

brufut

Boston, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
brufut

Hi

We are Gambia virgins and have booked to stay in the Plantantation in Brufut.I have tried following the threads on here but can anybody tell me how far we are from the strip and what is the best way to get there.Keep reading about people going to the turntable but this means nothing to me.How far is this from where we are ? Is it easier to just get a taxi ? Is there any restaurants in walking distance ? We will most likely go full board but I would like to try a few different places for drinks and lunch and evening meals and get out and about.Thanks all.

Andy

canterbury
Level Contributor
768 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: brufut

i haven't myself stayed at the plantation, but we had a couple of weeks at the sheraton which is also in brufut. It is about 20 min from kololi (the turntable is a roundabout about half way there ), where most of the bars and restaurants are.

i

hope that helps.

Ascot
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: brufut

The Plantation is a bit further away fom the Strip than the Sheraton and is signposted from the main road to Tanji . Bush taxis/vans pass that way from Tanji and Sanyang fishing villages and you can hail one on the main road for 10D per person to The Turntable. Then it's 7D from there to The Strip.

This applies probably up to about midnight if you're lucky, but after that you should be able to negotiate a green/yellow cab from the Strip for around 100-150D to The Plantation.

canterbury
Level Contributor
768 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: brufut

when we tried to haggle with the green taxi drivers on the rank, they wanted to charge us about 250 or so.

it took quite some time and a lot of standing firm on our part not to have to pay that price, as soon as they see you as a tourist, cab drivers can be very reluctant to reduce their price.

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
4,333 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: brufut

The Turntable is about the only road roundabout in TG and is used as a reference guide. You will also hear people refer to The Traffic Lights in the same way which at that time were the only ones.

The Turntable is the cross roads to Kololi (The Strip),Serrekunda, The Airport and Brufut along the coastal road.

I don't know the hotel but cheap transport out there is not a problem so don't be afraid to get out and about. There is The Courtyard in Brufut which is not far off the Main Road and is sign posted. Carry straight on the main road and you come to Neil's Bar on the lt hand side and there are now several Bars/ Restaurants up to the Turntable.

Go and enjoy but think twice about full board. Read the reviews on here first before you decide.

Brufut, Gambia
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: brufut

You can either walk down to the Tanji road and get a bush taxi to the turntable (7 dalasis) then a yellow taxi to Senegambia (7 dalasis) or you can get one of the bush taxis that come from Madiana outside the Plantation gates to Brufut, then a taxi to turntable, then a taxi to Senegambia. Sounds complicated but actually cheaper and quicker than a bus journey in UK. (If a bush taxi passes a junction as you are a little way from it, they will often reverse to get a fare) Also, Plantation have a jeep and I think they have a fixed price to Senegambia.

Hazel,s Bar at Brufut Lodge is not far away, The Courtyard and Neil's Bar one bush taxi ride away

Ascot
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: brufut

Hi Sunshineand,

I never really bother with green taxis as they price themselves about double yellow/green taxis. In March I always paid 50D for a town trip after 1am from Binis to Tranquil, so based on distance it should be possible to get the price I mentioned.

It also pays to build a rapport and get a regular driver/s, then that saves haggling every time. I was on good terms with three drivers at Binis and alternated them as they were quite often all there in competition waiting to take me, so I tried to be fair. Based on that they must have thought I was giving them a good deal.

Boston, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: brufut

Thanks all ,think I understand it a bit better now.

8. Re: brufut

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 23:15