We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rabies, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis B Jabs

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
86 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Rabies, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis B Jabs

Going to The Gambia next Feb and having put a Travel Form in to our Drs have just received it back with recommendations. We have already had Hepatitis A, Typhoid, Polio, Pnuemonia for previous holiday and now it is recommending we discuss having Hepatitis A, Rabies and Yellow Fever, and we have an appointment at the end of this week with the nurse.

Being our first time to the Gambia we would be interested to know whether others have had this advice and had these jabs or not before we go to discuss.

We will however take the advice the Nurses give and have whatever they consider advisable as we wouldn't take the risk of invalidating our Travel Insurance.

scotland
Level Contributor
5,766 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Rabies, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis B Jabs

Liecesterbob, Common everyday prescriptions ie the ones I remember being charged at around £6.70 are free at point of receiving.

Travel medications and vaccinations are payable at English Rates .

Propaganda seems to be having effect already possibly.

Actually the prescriptions are not free ,they are paid through our General Taxation,

I agree with with the better safe than sorry attitudes to vaccinations,

If all vaccinations were avoided in life for minor reasons we should soon return to the 18 th century health wise, imho

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Rabies, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis B Jabs

Take every precaution,

Shrewsbury, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Rabies, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis B Jabs

hi all do you need to have yellow fever? its not about the cost its more about my health, I have to inject myself ever 2 wks,my rheumatolagy nurse said i have to stop my injection. im due to travel out on the 23th dec 12. help me if you can x

Northallerton
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Rabies, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis B Jabs

No no no is the answer.

Shrewsbury, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Rabies, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis B Jabs

thank you for your reply

Northallerton
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Rabies, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis B Jabs

I've read on this this very forum many times by people with far more superior knowledge than me that there has been no reported cases of yellow fever for over 30 years. Hope this helps.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
674 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Rabies, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis B Jabs

At the last count 49 countries in europe , only 1 rabies free the uk.

Do they tell you that you need rabies jabs for spain france germany etc,no they don't. As soon as they see AFRICA the money bells start ringing.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
55 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Rabies, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis B Jabs

Ex travel health nurse so advise yellow fever a must have! Hep A, typhoid, dip/tet/polio, but not rabies unless working with animals.

Just don't pat stray dogs or touch monkeys!!! Been going there to work for 18 yrs & we don't get rabies vacc.

Shrewsbury, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: Rabies, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis B Jabs

Hi there i have Psoriatic Arthritis and injection myself with Humira {TNF} which is a live injection and so is Yellow fever, my docter has told me to stop my humira now,may be to late for the yellow fever injection, i need to wait for the humira to leave my body. Just dont know what to do for the best. I flight out on the 23th dec 12. Anyone else on humira ?????

canterbury
Level Contributor
771 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Rabies, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis B Jabs

hey mizsam,

according to posts on previous topics yellow fever is not really necessary, there has been only 1 case reported in the gambia within the last 30 years and they spent a lot of time in the jungle birdwatchin.

of course it is totally up to you, but i for one will not bother with that particular immunisation.

regards