We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rabies, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis B Jabs

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
83 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Rabies, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis B Jabs

Going to The Gambia next Feb and having put a Travel Form in to our Drs have just received it back with recommendations. We have already had Hepatitis A, Typhoid, Polio, Pnuemonia for previous holiday and now it is recommending we discuss having Hepatitis A, Rabies and Yellow Fever, and we have an appointment at the end of this week with the nurse.

Being our first time to the Gambia we would be interested to know whether others have had this advice and had these jabs or not before we go to discuss.

We will however take the advice the Nurses give and have whatever they consider advisable as we wouldn't take the risk of invalidating our Travel Insurance.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
1 review
Save Reply
31. Re: Rabies, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis B Jabs

Mizsam I have both Psoriatic and Rheumatoid arthritis. I've had the yellow fever injection before I was diagnosed etc. If it was me id take the Humira and not get the yellow fever. This is purely based on your circumstances I wouldn't advise not getting it normally. HTH.

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
4,330 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Rabies, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis B Jabs

According to the tinterweb :-

Although ongoing cases and outbreaks of YF occur in Africa and South America, the disease is preventable by vaccination and remains a very rare cause of illness in travellers. There have been six recorded deaths from YF in non-vaccinated European and American travellers between 1996 and 2010. In 1996, two tourists died from YF following trips to the Amazon Basin in Brazil [12,13]. A further two travellers died in 1999 after contracting the virus in Venezuela and Côte d'Ivoire [14,15], and in 2001, a traveller died in a Belgian hospital after contracting YF whilst on holiday near the Gambia/Senegal border [16]. In 2002, an American died of YF after returning from a fishing trip on the Amazon near Manaus, Brazil [17]. None of these travellers were vaccinated against YF.

6 deaths between 1996 and 2010 gives the risk some perspective. That is all travellers not just the ones to TG

Ascot
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Rabies, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis B Jabs

Yellow fever vaccination itself does kill as in these reported cases, which include ironically one person that was never going to a yellow fever area:

cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5030a3.htm

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
4,330 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Rabies, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis B Jabs

According to the report on the Belgian woman who got YF and died she had other medical problems. She had been diagnosed with Crohn's disease when she was 20. She felt ill the day before she was due top fly home. She flew home but it was two days later she was admitted to hospital. Samples were sent from Belgium to Germany for testing and I quote "The plasma sample initially tested negative for yellow fever because of the presence of PCR-inhibiting activity" She was diagnosed as having YF five days after falling ill and 4 days after flying back to Belgium. Again I quote "A postmortem examination confirmed that she had died while

experiencing shock because of massive gastrointestinal bleeding." I doubt if crohn's disease would have helped this situation.

In no way am I suggesting that a YF injection is a waste of time but each to their own. From the above post it would appear more people have died from the injection than the disease in the last unpteen years

Edited: 19 September 2012, 16:11
scotland
Level Contributor
5,752 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Rabies, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis B Jabs

Citing cases trawled from the Internet is so easy,I have experience of a relative who contracted Dengue Fever , lot did he suffer for many many years. Skip vaccinations at your peril. It ain't worth it

Ascot
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Rabies, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis B Jabs

That's the beauty of the internet though, as it allows gleaning of relevant information to make informed decisions. I'm amazed for instance at the number of people that simply take statins without realising their potential crippling side-effects. It's another 'smoking' scandal for the future methinks.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
197 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Rabies, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis B Jabs

I am with you on that one Paul. This thing of "give statins to the over 50s" is terrible. And as for them being sold over the counter - dont get me started on that one! I don't believe in taking health risks but so many surgeries try to get you to have totally unnecessary vaccinations that are often inappropriate for the countries being visited. There is no way, however, I would ever skip anti malarials. As for Dengue Fever there is no prevention or effective cure apart from not getting bitten in the first place.

scotland
Level Contributor
5,752 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Rabies, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis B Jabs

Oh lord a little knowledge is a terrible thing .without statins my cholesterol levels would not be a comfortable 4.5 it would be MI levels

scotland
Level Contributor
5,752 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Rabies, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis B Jabs

Oh lord a little knowledge is a terrible thing .without statins my cholesterol levels would not be a comfortable 4.5 it would be MI levels. Statins and smoking Get real

Edited: 19 September 2012, 19:21
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
197 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Rabies, Yellow Fever, Hepatitis B Jabs

Statins are useful when you have high Cholesterol but some GPs these days are handing them out like sweets willy nilly. Often to people with normal Cholesterols. Thats what I think is silly,