We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

That old question!

Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
That old question!

Gambia V Goa...well Im off to Goa in two weeks time...Its about 15 years since I was last there so Im expecting some changes...

It will be nice to do my own comparison...which usually revolves around the price of Alcohol, Food and Taxis.

We are going back to Gambia in late Jan...just waiting for Thos Cook to reduce their prices!

Market Harborough
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: That old question!

have a great time Bill...whereabouts in Goa ? Will still be in TG late jan so maybe meet upi?

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,512 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: That old question!

great to hear the differences, have a great time

Ascot
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: That old question!

Must admit, never been there but saw a flight to Goa yesterday for 280 quid as opposed to 430 at the mo to TG. Also, the Caribbean is cheaper to fly to at the mo so could be tempted elsewhere until prices come down.

Do you need a visa for Goa ?

Edited: 30 October 2012, 14:01
south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,512 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: That old question!

yes last time I looked it was £50

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: That old question!

I'm curious which Caribbean islands Paul , wouldn't mind going back one day maybe . I loved goa , but didnt enjoy the 14 hr flight as we refueled in abu dabI , would av to be there for at least 3 wks if I did it again , an yes visa is required . Maybe they fly direct , let us know how long it takes bill pls

Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: That old question!

Envy you - we loved Goa!

The final comparison would be great if you could also include the cost of the actual holiday (ie flights & comparable hotel) & also any incidentals such as the cost of the indian visa.

Our experience is that the cost of the actual fortnight's holiday to Goa was quite a bit more expensive than Gambia but once you're out there it was somewhat cheaper - all in all it worked out about the same. (About £2k for two of us)

A 15 year gap is a long time so your thoughts on the 'new' Goa would be interesting to hear as well - especially if you're staying in the north.

Perhaps also compare the experience of the airport too - my memories of Dabolim are grim! Banjul was a doddle in comparison.

Be interested to see what's changed - look forward to your report. We are looking at Kerala for late 2013 or early 2014

Felixstowe, United...
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: That old question!

It takes nine and a half hours direct with the likes of T Cook. Many people fly with thier own arangements with Qatar or Jet airways, this takes longer as they are not direct , but the planes are MUCH better.and they are not tied to flight timeings.

Have a good time in Goa Bill, i love it there, and think it well worth the flight time.But it is years since i only went there for only a couple of weeks. i might not be so keen if only going for a short while.

Bakau, Gambia
Level Contributor
3,319 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: That old question!

Milimolimand ? Tobago flight only with monarch out of gatwick 14-11-2012 back 28-111-2012 14 days £401 with 30 kilos baggage .

I can't recommend Tobago enough,spent many happy holidays there over the years ,forget your barbados st lucia etc try the real caribbean .lotts of good clean cheap accom' on the web

Ascot
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: That old question!

In fact Goa flight now 241 quid incl 30kg baggage 6/11 :)

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: That old question!

that sounds good jeff other than im from sheffield and getting to gatwick could be costly , but your praise for tobago is interesting an i will nosey about on

the travel sites . few yrs ago i did a caribbean cruise for my 40th an did 11 islands , some of them very briefly lol didnt think much of trinidad , but was busy due to them doing building work an such for a big cricket tournament , only others we liked were barbados , which we av visited since for a holiday an loved , the other was St martin , would love to see more of there so any info is always great thanks , right off to av a look . goa flight still sounds good too but this year an next already booked so maybe one day ahhhhhhhhh lol