We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bakau Guest House - what time to see the Fish trawl?

Stockport Cheshire
Level Contributor
415 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Bakau Guest House - what time to see the Fish trawl?

Want to coincide a visit to BGH so we can have a drink or lunch on the veranda watching the fish being trawled in

Is this an everyday occurrence and what time does it usually happen?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5,437 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bakau Guest House - what time to see the Fish trawl?

Hi Sab,

I think they go early Morning and go Mid afternoon, someone may will know for sure..

''.. Rich.......

Dumfries, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bakau Guest House - what time to see the Fish trawl?

5pm

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bakau Guest House - what time to see the Fish trawl?

If you get there about 4pm you can enjoy the museum part whilst you're waiting for them to come so you don't miss them hahaa. You can go down when you're ready to the harbour and buy some fish then have it BBQ'd by the women and eat it there and then mmmm, making me hungry

scotland
Level Contributor
5,761 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bakau Guest House - what time to see the Fish trawl?

Hi enjoy a chat and a drink or meal on the terrace between 3.30 _ 5pm , you can watch the action in comfort from the guesthouse terrace .

I did with.friends

Rgds bruff

Edited: 29 January 2014, 14:45
London
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bakau Guest House - what time to see the Fish trawl?

I went yesterday at 4pm and stayed until about 5:30 - probably missed the start, but really well worth it and you get a much better view from the guest house of the whole operation than actually being down and in it. Try watch the kids, although they appear to get paid in fish for "helping", they're also accomplished thieves who pick up fish while walking past and then dropping them off with their mates a few metres ahead.

Also go up the stairs to the "museum" and then to the top of the spinaret and take in the view for miles.

Going into the fish market itself can lead you getting into an awkward situation - spoke to someone yesterday who somehow found themselves in a room to sign a book to make comments, four guys appeared blocking the doorway out and strongly suggested they needed to make a donation to "fix the pier".

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bakau Guest House - what time to see the Fish trawl?

we went earlier on this month around 4ish and ordered a late lunch (which I may say was the worse meal ever), the boats didn't come in (expected 5ish) as sea was too rough-didn't appear that to me but then they know their business. Was amusing watching women/men pile high into trucks with large buckets/bowls going to where the fishermen were coming in (someone said Tanji?),no health & safety here!!

If you are going to watch from the terrace-it's shaded-so take a wrap,as it was cold in the breeze.

London
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bakau Guest House - what time to see the Fish trawl?

We just had a few beers rather than food. They were quite pricey compared to elsewhere but worth it for the location.

scotland
Level Contributor
5,761 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bakau Guest House - what time to see the Fish trawl?

I believe it's part of the custom for kids to knock fish from the tubs on the carriers head

The kids help fill the tub , so maybe it's payment .or there is so much fish being landed it would be churlish to scold a child over a fish whilst amongst so plenty .

For definite I will be back again this year to pass an enjoyable afternoon

Rgds Bruff

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
202 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bakau Guest House - what time to see the Fish trawl?

I would love to have a go at dusting all the artefacts in the museum

Does anyone know the name of the owner of Bakau Guest House, Ive forgotten it

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
528 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bakau Guest House - what time to see the Fish trawl?

Think his name is Ali he's a egyptian lovely bloke

Edited: 29 January 2014, 18:45
Get answers to your questions about Gambia
Recent Conversations