We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bird watching

Swansea, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Bird watching

Hi. When is the best time of year to visit the Gambia for bird watching/migration?

London, United...
Level Contributor
836 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bird watching

We went in April and the birdwatching was excellent.

Any week in March and the beginning of April will be productive.

If you are going I can give you some hints about the best places to stay and visit.

As a firstimer you will have little trouble finding lifers.The birding is very straightforward as long as you have your bins and the Helm Guide to the Birds of Gambia and Senegal.

I saw over 50 species from the hotel grounds alone with no effort!

I took my scope as well and it came in very handy.

I go birdwatching all over the World and Gambia is one of the best believe me!

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bird watching

I am in the middle of a birding holiday and am using a local guide who has arranged a package for me so far we have had 5 full days birding the costal region and we already have a list of 170 species with many lifers including giant kingfisher 4 new owl species including pearl spotted owlet along with a yet to be identified gull species . Like the previous poster has already mentioned Gambia is a fantastic location for birding I can't get over the the shear number of birds they are everywhere

Greater London...
Level Contributor
99 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bird watching

My copy of 'Birds of Senegal and The Gambia' arrived via Amazon today £20.99 - flying out tomorrow.

Bruce I am not a serious birder but do you think your local guide has added much to your experience?

I expect I will use one too for a day or so just to support the locals. I normally just yomp around and look at whatever I bump into.

Which locations have you gone to?

Buckinghamshire, UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bird watching

Hi Oliver

I'm not a serious birder either but like to take a field guide and my bins whenever I go to an area with interesting birdlife. I went to the Gambia for the first time in February and used the resident guide at the Kombo Beach hotel, Modou Barry, who took us (self and husband) on a two and a half hour walking tour in the Kotu Stream area. We saw SO much more than we would have had we gone alone, and he was happy to tailor the trip to our interests (i.e. pretty/spectacular birds rather than rare LBJs!). Modou was able to recognise the birds' calls so could point out the tiniest sun bird in a thicket, which we would have otherwise walked past. He later gave us a handwritten list of everything we'd seen, and all that for a tenner. I was going to take him up on the offer to go further afield and see owls (Brufut woods, I think) but an attack of Banjul Belly prevented me.

I hope you have a great time.

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bird watching

Most defiantly I have benefited by having a guide he helped to find species I would never have found. Out of the 170 species I would have managed a positive id for between 60 & 70.

A would recommend you take a guide, I used Modou Colley who is the president of The Gambia bird guides association and so far has been the perfect guide.

To date we have visited kotu creek and rice fields, bijilo

forest, brufut woods tujarang, lamin lodge , tanji beach and abuko woods. We never know what each day has in store, he picks us up at 7.30 and away we go until about 5.30

6. Re: Bird watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 07:16