We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Immigration or visa

Heswall, United...
Level Contributor
227 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Immigration or visa

Hi does anyone know how often you have to get your passport stamped is it every month and where do you go I am going to be in kolos I for 6 months from July thanks

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
3,661 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Immigration or visa

Hi John - From what I've read here on TA it costs 500d to get a 28 day extension to your visa and you can extend up to 2 months at a time. In Kololi the place to get it done would be the Tourist Police Office just round the corner from "the strip", on the main highway.

Make sure you get the max. 28 day visa stamp at the immigration desk when you arrive at the airport.

Edited: 15 May 2014, 21:50
Kotu, Gambia
Level Contributor
618 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Immigration or visa

john.

make sure that you ask for 28 days stamp in your passport upon arrival.

then go to your nearest police station as the 28 days is about to expire and ask for a visa extension.

this will cost 500 D for each and every month thereafter so you will need to pay a total of 2,500 D to extend your stay for a six month period.

always carry your passport with you in case proof of legitimacy to remain is requested at check points.

don't forget insurance against illness or injury.

if it's in kololi that you are staying then the station is almost at the senegambia rd./ bertil harding highway junction.

jon.

3. Re: Immigration or visa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 May 2015, 06:12
Retford, United...
Level Contributor
3,661 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Immigration or visa

No probs jon l - Sadly no, dodgy back and the Doc won't let me drink with the current painkillers - roll on tomorrow night though!

btw, Regarding carrying ID in TG - rather than risk loosing or damaging your passport is it ok to carry a photocopy of the pages with the photo and current visa stamp on instead?

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
4,392 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Immigration or visa

I carry a copy of my passport and I photograph my visa stamp and extension with my phone so I always have proof. Never been asked though.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Immigration or visa

Would you need to get a resident and work permit staying that long too?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5,429 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Immigration or visa

No Hanna..

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Immigration or visa

If you were working then yes. The extension is for 30 days. You need to have been resident 3 months before you can get a permit. You can't extend for up to 4 months at a time at Senegambia TDA. Residents cards run from Jauary to January.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Immigration or visa

Whilst going through passport control in Gambia i was informed by the lady who stamped my passport that if i went to the immigration office at the airport i could get my extension for free so its well worth checking this out when you visit.

10. Re: Immigration or visa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 05:17