We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gambia with a 1 year old

Livingston
Level Contributor
66 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Gambia with a 1 year old

I had to cancel my holiday to Gambia as I was was pregnant but I really want to go my son will be 1 in November.

Has anyone been with a 1-2 year old?

Would you go all inclusive or self catering?

Any advice welcolm

Thanks

Heswall, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gambia with a 1 year old

Hi I stayed at the laico atlantic in March and although your little one is small they do have a great team who would help you but if your unsure ask at thomas cooks before you book they will advise you. My girlfriend works there with the children they have a kids pool and it is loverly hope this helps

Bakau, Gambia
Level Contributor
3,319 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gambia with a 1 year old

ian what is your girls name ,I have stayed their and know most of the staff

Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gambia with a 1 year old

Im sorry but I wouldnt take a baby to TG. The risks totally outweigh the benefits. Ive been going here for nearly 20 years and know of several cases where people have contracted cerebal malaria and died or been seriously ill with this disesase. And its not just malaria...(Bot flies, etc etc).If you need a bit sun and want somewhere really safe to take your little one try the Canaries

Eton, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gambia with a 1 year old

Can you really face the six hour flights with a one-year old and luggage, plus the general commotion at either end before you even reach your accomodation, if you have no one to help you? Not much of a holiday!

banjul
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Gambia with a 1 year old

I took my children to numerous african countries from when they were 6 months old and that was 30 years ago when things were much less " developed". I don't see the problem.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gambia with a 1 year old

The BIG risk is malaria. It isn't a big deal for adults - the local medics know how to treat it. The chances of being bitten in Dec/Jan/Feb are low. There are hundreds of thousands of local children who don't die of malaria. But it's your child... Take advice from your GP; if they can recommend a malaria preventative for infants then take it. Otherwise the world is a big place, explore it, and bring your child to the Gambia when you feel it is safe to do so.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
266 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gambia with a 1 year old

We took our 2 year old at Easter and it was fantastic!

Ignore the doubters. 6 hour flight was easy as she watched the iPad.

You can get paediatric malerone which I crushed and gave in chocolate sauce.

I took my own mosquito net that went round a cot. We took our own bucket and spade. We even took her up river to see where slavery started.

You just need to be organised. We used deet wipes so we could apply without it touching her hands.

Only a handful of restaurants have high chairs but apart from that we didn't have any issues.

We stayed at kololi beach club.

Good luck!

Livingston
Level Contributor
66 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gambia with a 1 year old

Thanks I understand why some people are unsupportive!!

But I'm a traveller I've been all other the world the canneries do nothing for me I'd rather stay at home! Our sons already been to Spain, turkey and Jamaica flight doesn't bother me 6 hours is nothing.

Heswall, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gambia with a 1 year old

Hi jeff I am always up in the blue kitchen and my girlfriends name is awa

Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gambia with a 1 year old

Its not the length of the flight but the dangers to young children when you are there. Its not Spain, Turkey or Jamaica..Dont get me wrong..Ive seen dozens of young kids there over the years and all three of mine have been but they were well into their teens...If you want to take the risk go for it..You asked the Forum for advice. If you dont want to take it, best ignore the answers and do your own thing.