We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kairaba Hotel, Banjul

Playa del Ingles...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Kairaba Hotel, Banjul

We are due to go to The Gambia 20th Sept for a week. We have never been before and are now quite anxious about the Ebola outbreak in neighbouring countries. Has anyone been recently and heard anything locally?

Is the area really a place where you stay in your hotel resort most of the time and just take short walks down the street, or is it safe to, for example, hire your own car and go exploring. I have read that there is "corruption at all levels". I want to be able to relax on holiday and not feel anxious, stressed or constantly looking over my shoulder for thieves etc. CAn anyone put my mind at rest before I decide to cancel and go elsewhere. (We are two blokes just turned 50)

Many thanks

banjul
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Kairaba Hotel, Banjul

The hotel you name is not in Banjul but in a tourist area. Yes you can walk in safety and hire a car to explore without any concerns. Just exercise the same caution you would elsewhere for the first time. The ebola is something that you have to decide for yourself as we are all in unknown territory on that one.

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kairaba Hotel, Banjul

The hotel is one of the better ones in that area (Kololi) and the grounds are extensive and you can wander around there and relax. It adjoins the Senegambia and you are also free to wander in their extensive grounds too so if you feel you want to "stay in" there is plenty of space.

The beach at your hotel has suffered a lot of erosion but 50 yards or so either way it gets better and you can walk for miles. Plenty of beach bar / restaurants to rest up at too.

Enjoy!!

Bakau, Gambia
Level Contributor
3,319 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kairaba Hotel, Banjul

You are perfectly ok ,before I moved over to Gambia I stayed at that hotel 3 times ( on my own ) and had no trouble going out day or night ,as Albert says just take the same care as you do at home don't flash the cash ,and don't wear expensive things like Mr T gold chains round your neck ,You will be ok ,As for Ebola again like Albert says we are all in the same boat of not knowing what will happen ,and fingers crossed it wont get to Gambia,

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,574 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kairaba Hotel, Banjul

A lot safer in gambia than Spain (where I was mugged many years ago). The.Kairaiba is a top hotel, very nice,enjoy.

Eton, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kairaba Hotel, Banjul

Its generally reckoned to give self-drive car-hire a miss. Much cheaper to take taxis, even hotel taxis, everywhere. You may find yourself adopting a particular driver to call on all the time. The standard of driving is erratic so let the local man deal with it - you aren't there for stress! For a first visit maybe take organised outings for a guaranteed outcome, again without stress.

A quality hotel, effectively at the centre of of the small but busy tourist area with famously lovely beachside gardens shared with the extensive gardens of the adjoining Senegambia hotel. The plant and bird life is a feature in both.

6. Re: Kairaba Hotel, Banjul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2015, 05:17